Saturday, April 26, 2008

Argo Gold Mine and Mill

On our way to ski we pass gold mills and we keep saying we are going to go check them out...

finally(!) we did

Friday afternoon - we headed up I-70 West to Idaho Springs home of several mines - to check out the Argo mine. I show up with my five kids and the girl at the cash register takes a quick look but doesn't say anything. We pay for me and the older two and head into a room to receive a lecture and watch a slide show. Oh dear. To my amazement Dragon manages to pay attention and stay out of trouble. M-Lyons gets bored a bit but isn't too bad. The information is fascinating.

The history of the mine begins with a mountain man making camp and finding gold in the sand bar of the river (don't ask me what river I have no idea) and so panning started and then digging started. We get to see some good demonstrations and take a bus ride up the hill to the mine. The mine is closed but here is a tunnel we are allowed to explore and the mill itself. It was really cool and I suggest it to anybody.

Afterwards they have troughs set up to simulate gold panning and our guide demonstrated for the kids. They would have stayed for hours but it was cold!!

and I wrote about it for AC
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/735903/a_visit_to_the_argo_gold_mine_and_mill.html?cat=16

No comments: