Monday, October 27, 2008

There was a snake, on my stairs

Photobucket

Last night about 7:30 or so I headed down to the basement and stopped on the second stair and hollered for my husband. The regular "what?" hollered back at me from the shop. "THERE IS A SNAKE IN MY HOUSE!" I hollered back. Husband appeared.

Poor little snake saw me (it was headed up) and had turned around and headed back down. Saw husband and decided to try lateral and headed for the banister.

I told my husband that in the past my Uncle has used a carving fork lashed to a long stick and the snake wind up the fork and he carries them out. Maybe a pitch for k would work? We have a pitch fork, for spreading mulch. Husband goes to get said pitch fork while I keep an eye on our visitor.

Beanie is of course besides herself. "Oh look! It is so cute!" and keeps trying to get a better view. While I am sure it is probably some kind of nice garter snake looking to eat the nasty bugs in my basement, I honestly don't know one snake from another and I DO NOT want Beanie near it. I send her off to find her naturalist book to try to identify it. Tiger is my kind of animal guy. He likes cute and fluffy. He was already downstairs and so he is standing at the bottom of the stairs whimpering.

Husband returns with pitch fork and by now the snake has lodged itself between the banister and the wall, no doubt wondering what it has gotten into and where all these loud, clumsy, predators have come from.

We pass a large thin book to Beanie who gently nudges snake and it moves away from the banister and falls to the floor. Makes a bee line for furniture. I don't think we are going to be able to get it to "wind up" the pitch fork. We move all the furniture except the table snake is under and block all the door ways, and then quickly move the table and chase it with the pitch fork trying to send it in the direction of the door to the backyard. It makes it. Whew!! And I don't even think I hurt it.

I have the heebie jeebies all night. Today I am to go shopping for a big fancy NY wedding, but after that I think I may stop by the SPCA and see if they have any kittens. I really don't like snakes.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Yeah, see if that was me, I'd have packed up the kids and put the house on the market. They ya go, Mr Snake, it's all yours!

Tenakim said...

I'm with Meg- I'd been gone!