Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Donuts for Dads

It is Donuts for Dad's in the 2nd and 3rd grade today. Last week it was the 1st grade and Kindergarten and next week I guess it is 4th and 5th.

Tim went last week to 1st grade. He has people in town for training this week and meetings start at 8 AM. He can't go to my 2nd grader's Donuts thing - but he never really said no, he just said "maybe" which left the 2nd grader full of hope. So this morning the 2nd grader bounced out of bed only to be told that Dad couldn't go. If Dad had manned up and said that a week ago we could have asked grandpa - we have that option. Grandpa lives in town. I can't call Grandpa at 7 AM and ask him to pick up the kid at 7:30.

So, Dad went to work and I talked with my broken hearted kid. Who sat in my lap and cried and cried. We talked about how it felt not fair, we talked about how it hurt his feelings and then he said "mostly I'm embarrassed." Eventually he said "I hate Donuts for Dads" and I said I know. I reminded him that a lot of kids hate Dad day. That some kids don't live with their dads and their dads never go to these things. Eventually I gave him an out. "You can stay home" because I know when he is emotional he gets sick to his stomach.

What to do?

3 comments:

Meg said...

Poor kid! I think that definitely deserves staying home. With hot chocolate.

CailinMarie said...

Tiger liked the hot chocolate idea. He made cookies with his sisters too. not bad all in all.

Meg said...

Much better than those stinkin' donuts.