Saturday, February 28, 2009

madness...

truly madness
today I stopped by the SPCA. Honestly, I need another animal like I need a hole in my head. Maybe I actually DO need a hole in my head.
My labrador, Kahn Sol {which we believe is Korean for "Snow Flake" naturally he is a large black dog} is depressed. Unless we are out for a walk he pretty much sits on the laundry pile and mopes. At the end there when he was hot and in pain Malachi, my old yellow lab, sat on the laundry pile. I let him as I figured it cushioned his arthritis. Now I let Kahn Sol because he so pathetic. There is nothing worse than a depressed dog.
So... I stopped by the Humane Society. They have a 6 yr old male, intact, German Shepherd Dog. He was an owner surrender supposedly because they are downsizing to an apartment. He is sweet and incredibly mellow for a GSD and he really wants the heck out of there. He is also very over weight and it looks like his hips are showing age. His eyes look older than 6, which could be his weight and worry or he could be older. Hard to say. Because he is so mellow he'd be okay with all my kids and he isn't going to jump on people or bite Kahn Sol's ears {he is sensitive about his ears and dogs love to bite them} but I'm worried about his age and health. We are not exactly financially well just now...
They also have a 6 month old puppy. Supposedly a labrador, pit bull mix. Sweet dog, smart face, not timid, not aggressive, nice animal. I asked them about the pit genes but they haven't seen any aggressive or biting behavior.
What to do? I got home and looked at my house. It is a MESS. I am a crappy housekeeper. Why would I add more fur and dirt to this???

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I guess it just depends on the added work vs. non-depressed dog. Do they make doggy Prozac?

Meg said...

You would add more fur and mud because you have a huge heart. You (all of you) have more love to give to a new furry friend.

What about fostering a dog? That way the rescue group pays for the medical bills and your puppy gets a new friend. It may not be permanent though, which can be tough.

If you get someone younger, it may be a while before you have to worry about big vet bills.

In the meantime, repeat my new mantra...

"I can't save them all. I can't save them all. I can't save them all."