Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Queen Esther

Three years ago, I stumbled upon a group of women who meet on Tuesdays for Bible Study.  They even provide child care.  The first study I did with them was a Beth Moore Study entitled, "A Woman's Heart" and it saved my marriage and possibly my life.
Currently we are on week 4 of a different Beth Moore Study on Queen Esther entitled "It is tough being a woman".  
This week in the video portion of the study {Beth gives us a talk via video - and then a week's worth of reading} Beth brought up something that just "tickled me" as she she says.
Chapter 4 "And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" Mordecai says through Hathach to Esther.  And from here Beth skipped to Proverbs 31:10.  There was something in the wording from Mordecai to Esther that prompted that skip but I didn't write it down and cannot remember exactly.  In Proverbs we find "the perfect woman" described - beginning with "A wife of noble charcter who can find? She is worth far more than rubies" but what I LOVE here is that Beth points out that in the Hebrew the words echo those in Judges 6:12 regarding Gideon "The Lord is with you mighty warrior."  I love this.  According to her studies, the Hebrew is referring to "brave" as in brave in battle - so a "noble wife" could be explained as a "brave wife."  This is SO much easier for me to strive for.
I get this.
The martial artist, college rugby player in my really really likes this a whole lot better than the image of someone who is meek and mild and quietly moving around the domicile.
It reminds me of when I was competing regularly in Tae Kwon Do and my husband was on a plane on his way home from an assignment - and talking to whoever was seated next to him.  Some how college sports came up and the other guy had been a hockey player.  My husband expresses that in his mind those guys are plain insane and the guy responds "Actually hockey is after lacrosse and rugby as far as how insane you have to be to play."  My husband laughs, "I don't know, I'm a lacross player and I think hockey is pretty intense.  My wife played rugby."  His neighbor actually answered.  "No sh-t.  What is it like to be married to a woman who is more of a bad-@ss than you?"  My husband never did say what he answered to that question and maybe I don't want to know.  But after all this "in the Hebrew" bit this week, I'm liking Queen Esther a lot.

No comments: