Monday, May 18, 2009

Crickets!!!

Sparky joined our family at Christmas two years ago. My oldest was in 3rd grade and in the herp club and in love with reptiles (ugh!). She desperately wanted a snake for Christmas and there was no way I was going to say yes to that! So she started trying for a lizard, and convicned her grandparents to buy her one. They found a 6 week old baby bearded dragon and bought him and his "stuff" and here we go. I am the proud mother of a child with a lizard.

Sparky today:
Photobucket

Big Boy belongs to school but the teacher who runs the Herp Club has been sick (rumor has it he is not returning so Big Boy maybe permanent?) so Big Boy has been visiting since Christmas. I kind of like him. He is very social, bobs up and down to say hello and actually gets depressed like a dog if he is ignored for too long.

Big Boy in his terranium
Photobucket

The only downer about Beardies is that they eat live food in addition to their veggies. Mainly crickets and meal worms. Yesterday Beanie (my 11 year old) and her dad stopped at the pet store on their way home from grocery shopping for the humans. A while later we hear sobbing. SOBBING. At the top of the stairs. Beanie is besides herself. She can't even answer the question "what is the matter?" Finally she hiccups and gets out "the cricket bag exploded!"

Some 30 crickets are hopping around her bedroom!!! So we all rush in and spend a mad 5 mintues catching crickets. We caught maybe 20 or so... I'm sure the others will turn up! Yikes.

Poor Beanie was very upset for some time afterwards and finally calmed down. I reminded her that this is like the "don't melt butter in your bedroom" incident and she'll laugh about it down the road.

I'm off the music store for "lavo 2" medium reeds for the same child so I gotta run and get it done before carpool from private school for Dragon... but I'll post pictures of the Beardies later.

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I hope none of them attack her!

Meg said...

What a mom. Personally, had a cricket bag exploded in my bedroom, or the bedroom of my child, I would have just moved out. Let the crickets have the place.

Melissa Miller said...

Hello,
Thank you so much for your kind visit to my blog.
I really appreciate it very much.
You're always welcome!

Yours is wonderful as well and I'll be back to visit again soon.

Have a blessed day.
~Melissa :)

The Muse said...

Holy Moly! Now that is COOL...!!!
Ok, you are a strong MOMMA...no doubt about it...you are my HERO(ine)!!!

I have a turtle, but that doesn't compare! LOL

Sandi McBride said...

Oh I LOVE lizards...I have always loved lizards, and frogs...my Grandda introduced me to tadpoles when I was about 2...the love affair with frogs began then. My G'daughter Arianna is following in Granny's footsteps...she loves frogs and lizards, too. Poor Beannie, tell her that the crickets give off a comforting sound while she sleeps at night...I keep one in the kitchen...always have...he can't be dinner for anyone, tho! Loved this post!
Sandi

Meg said...

I love Sparky's orange eyes.