Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Bucket List

I haven't watched that movie but it is on my list for this summer. Recently I was talking to someone about their list and started trying to come up with my own.

What is on your bucket list?

I think I need three: my dad died before my freshman year of high school so I feel like I need a list of things before my kids graduate - I get freaked out everytime I think about my oldest being in 6th grade. By the time I was in sixth grade I'd skied on two continents, lived in two countries other than the U.S. (I was born in the U.S.) learned a language fluently and was passable (well at least for buying candy) in another. I'd climbed on Roman ruins and old castles, gone on hikes in the Black Forest, visited the coast of Spain and Portugal... My sister and I will sometimes laugh and say everything interesting we did, we did before we were 25. (having kids excluded.)

There are a lot of things I want to do with my kids... I want to take them to the Grand Canyon for a donkey ride and white water rafting. I want to vacation at a Dude Ranch. I want to visit the 50 states with them. I want to take them surfing in Hawaii. I want to hike in Alaska with them. I want to take them skiing in the Alps....

this leads to the second bucket list... the if the heavens openned and I could afford everything on the list list! :-)
on that list we add riding horses across Mongolia, spending a summer in Australia, skiing in South America, spending some time in Italy (spending a LOT of time in Italy) cruising with National Geographic in the Galapagos Islands

and I need towork out the in between list (the more practical one) that isn't dependent on money trees and isn't trying to drag my kids along...

so really, what is on your list?

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I would LOVE to travel more. I'm not very well traveled and I would love to change that.

Meg said...

I am going to have to think about this.

A little piece of 7th heaven said...

Wow..you had one exciting life..such a wonderful chapter in your book of life..and I bet this chapter with the kiddies is just as good. I wish to do some of those same things with the kiddies..But, just like you unless the heavens open and start raining money..we might have to put most of them on hold. That is OK..finding the beauty in the small things is just as important...lol..or at least I am trying to think so..{smile}
Annmarie

Debbie said...

Somewhere along the way, we had to settle for just saving for college and not traveling much. I hope the kids won't mind.

Annette Piper said...

The movie is actually great - I watched it recently. I love your money is no question list - summer in Australia - yay! :)

I think my list would have to include some travel too - there are magical places out there that should be experienced.

BTW, I've given you an award. Go here to collect it: http://annettepiperjewellery.blogspot.com/2009/07/winter-mistaken-for-spring-but-not-for.html

FoxyMoron said...

Friend of mine had a similar list to do before she turned fifty, and I think she did it all.

You have beds here if you come down to Australia! (Wherever "here" will be by then).