Friday, July 24, 2009

Thursday - Book Club

One of the moms started a book club last January.  It was on her list for New Year's "read more" which she said meant rad at least one book a month and so she decided to start a book club.  It is a great group of very smart women most of whom don't work right now and chose to stay home to be with the kids and most of whom have at least one degree.  
I have only one degree and I'm a bit under qualified to be in the group.
The mom who started was an engineer in the automotive industry pre-kids.  She's also British so everything she says just sounds smarter based on vocabulary and accent.

We were to read "Nickled and Dimed and (not) Getting by" by Barbara Ehrenreich
I didn't finish it.  In fact honestly I'd only attempted to read it a few days ago.  I read about 3/4 of it I guess.
Interesting:
nobody liked the author or enjoyed the book
most of us found the author to be condecending and classist and obsessed with race
we talked a lot about Wal-Mart and fair wages and fair hours
and then moved into things in Wal-Mart and touched briefly on "greed" driven eonomy...

It is interesting to read this book at this time.  90% of the women in the club are in financial difficulty due to current economy.  95% of the women in the club would be considered wealthy by anybody in the book except perhaps the author.  

One of the moms brought up this point, the group is made up of 35-45 year old women with a minimum of a bachelor's degree (and in most cases higher) and "good work experience" who based on the need for "mom friendly hours" are limited in what jobs and wages they can aspire to right now.  This woman's husband lost his job and so she is looking for work - work that is mom friendly - and so she has a very dumbed down resume at the moment because there isn't anywork that fits her qualifications and would allow her to work less than 40 hours (she says no more than 20 hrs) a week during the hours of 8am to 6pm.  And she'll look at nothing less than $10.00/ hour.

Very interesting discussion indeed.

6 comments:

The Half Assed Housewife said...

I have been so lucky to find a job that was "Mom Friendly".

I read the book a few years ago and it wasn't that bad to me, but I'm an economist who likes things that address social implications of the economy. It was more of an academic read for me.

Interestingly I quit about 3/4 of the way through as well because by the time she was making it to the 3rd or 4th job I felt like I had heard it all before.

I found the first job insightful. The second confirmed what was set out in the first. The third made me feel bad for my cleaning people, but not bad enough to quit using them.

Becca said...

Do you like the book club?
My husband was out of work for several months last year. It is so hard to find work right now.
I think it is going to be very tough to find a part time job between 8am & 6pm that pays at least $10 per hour. At least in my neighborhood. I'm wishing lots of luck for her. It's so hard right now.

Berchta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Berchta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CailinMarie said...

Hey "Bertcha" don't spam me!

Diana H said...

It is difficult to find a job, my daughter home from college couldn't find one, and neither could a lot of her friends. She has a promise of a job, and has been waiting for the call, but only 3 weeks until school starts.and she already passed the drug test.