Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Treasure

I am one of those people who takes gift giving seriously.  Truly.  So when I am faced with a challenge like this one:

It is my husband's grandmother and grandfather's birthday party on Saturday.  They each turned 90 this year.  What do you give a 90 year old person?  I take it seriously.  Why?  Because for as long as I can remember the family I grew up in bought presents all year long to squirrel away for people.  Partly because spreading them out helped out financially, and partly because it was a treasure hunt.  It was all about finding something that would make their eyes light up and that you'd see on display, or in use, or whatever depending on the gift - RIGHT AWAY!  Because finding a good present means you know the person and you pay attention to what is important to them...

Well, my husband's grandmother is from a family that takes faith and church very seriously.  One of her favorite gifts to the young girls is a Precious Moments Bible.  She likes Kincaid because he refers to "light" in a scripture kind of way and he paints quaint churches.  She likes quaint.  My husband used to rent a house that belonged to her - he was in the house when I met him - the entire house was mauve and it took one entire u-haul truck to get all the silk flower arrangements out when she sold it.  {we still don't know where all those flowers went, but she wanted each and every one}  She likes Hummels.  You get the picture.

I remembered randomly yesterday that there was a Virginia artist who uses Calligraphy and illustrates scripture.  I remembered which person at church has mentioned his work and I knew she'd know who he was.  She emailed me back this morning.

MICHAEL PODESTA - and he has a website. YES! click here
I ordered a book called "Joy" and it is very reasonably priced.  I am delighted!



I also found a great gift for my friend who is moving. She is a military wife and I know her from Bible study. Check it out:



Description: Ruth 1:16. Black and ochre calligraphy on cream background. Cream/gold mat. Gold frame.
Text: Whither thou goest I will go and where thou lodgest I will lodge. Thy people shall be my people and thy God my God


So now to find something for great grandpa... both harder and easier.  Great Grandpa was a mechanically inclined guy.  He sold newspapers outside of a manufacturing plant during the depression and got to know all the men.  As soon as he was old enough he applied to work in the plant, since he knew everybody they made sure he got the job.  He worked his butt off and eventually became a V.P. in manufacturing.  He is my husband's hero.  I've known him for 14 years.  In the last ten his mind has started slipping.  During the last 5 he has had dementia.  Now he doesn't know who most people are anymore or what is going on.  He knows his wife, and his brain slips back in time to his manufacturing days.  He likes to talk about unit orders.  He doesn't know it is his birthday or that the party is for him.  But Great Grandma will feel better if we make sure he gets a present too.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I'm sure your grandma will love it! And I love the new background!

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful present! Perfect. I like to get the perfect gift too, that really matches what I think the person will love. I put a lot of thought into it. It brings me joy, so I guess it is true, joy is truly in the giving. Let us know how the party goes and how they enjoy their treasures.
XXXX

Theta Mom said...

When a gift comes from the heart, as yours did, it means SO MUCH, especially to the person who is doing the giving (you)! That was awesome! Have a great time!

Cellar Door said...

Hope they don't read your blog!

You remind me, my dad's birthday is August 4th and I know just what to get him...

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Those sound like such lovely gifts, Callin Marie! I know they will love them! My B-Day is this Friday, and I have some fun plans... but, oh, I feel older than the hills! ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

Becca said...

I know your grandmother will love the gift because you put so much thought into it.

CailinMarie said...

It came to day and it is a LOVELY book. I'm still excited to give it to her Saturday!

Melissa said...

my grandma is celebrating her 90th bday in october, and i think i'm totally going to steal your book idea! i was thinking of knitting her something, but with school starting, and going back to work, i doubt i'd have time to finish. enter your book idea and bam! great gift! happy bday to the greats!