Sunday, October 18, 2009

Train in concert-

SAP TechEd brings in a band as part of the convention. Last year it was the Black Crows. This year it was Train.
I need to look up who all the band members are - this is not stuff I know - but they were amazing. I am still totally impressed with them.
Imagine - 3,000 computer nerds after two days of "sessions"
sessions are basically classes anywhere from an hour to two hours on upgrades or on other areas of software - SAP covers SO MUCH it is impossible to know it all
people are fried
there is free beer (and other beverages) in the back of the room. Standing bar like tables and some chairs up towards the stage.

Train comes out fired up - they sing two songs and the singer literally stops and looks at the crowd and shakes his head. Everybody is pretty much hanging out in the back of the room ignoring the band. What?
What kind of concert is this?
Well this is only my second concert at one of these conventions but the first was pretty much the same.

I have to hand it to the guy, Pat Mohanan. He was not going down without a fight. He grins and smiles at the small group dancing by the stage. "Hey ladies, come on up here..." and he invites soemthing like six women, mostly with long hair and in tank tops, on stage. Tonight they are the "trainettes" and they are going to sing the chorus and dance with him.
Brilliant. In a room of mostly men, he has grabbed the audience's attention.

The ladies sing their song and dance. That helps get things started and he thanks them with high fives and sends them back off stage.

They played old favorites, new songs, and some covers; Aerosmith and Led Zepplin. He was funny. He made fun of the crowd. Got the crowd singing back to him. The guitarist was amazing and I like Train's music anyway so I had a good time. But the fact that they never gave in and in the end they got the crowd warmed up and having fun: I'm totally impressed with that band.

an unofficial video that reminds me of MY soul sister:

10 comments:

Amo said...

My husband likes Train. They are pretty good! Glad you had a good time!

MONICA said...

Hi Cailin! thanks for share this music :)
have a nice day!

Cheryl said...

I never heard of Train, but I really liked the video. Something about it really touched me. I liked the music too. I think it is really cool how he got the crowd to come closer and warm up, what a nice guy. It sounds like a really nice time. What a lucky and fun time for YOU.
Thanks for asking about me. (((HUGS)))).

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

oh what fun...i LOVE trains..

Sophia's Mom said...

I had never heard of them before but I like it :)

http://www.thewannabewahm.com

Meg said...

Wow! THat sounds like a ton of fun. I'm not too familiar with Train, but like what I've heard.

Veronica Lee said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog from one of the other blogs I was visiting. Love your blog title!!

My avatar is a hermit crab!!

Melissa said...

There's an award for you on my blog!

JUST ME, THE MOM said...

Train? As is Drops of Jupiter Train? They are so fantastic - love em? Lucky you!

Kristin

lou said...

Great video! Thank you for posting it. I used to love to cut things out of magazines and make art that way since I was never good at drawing. I admire the band's tenacity. It's hard to be a musician these days. Usually it's just the way you describe. The band is treated like background music.