Thursday, December 3, 2009

December, Cookies, Nights Out!


This is just going to segway (do you know I can't spell that word so I'm just going to leave it like that) into Theta Mom Thursday so nicely!


Last night was my neighbor's second annual cookie exchange. They invite the girls on the street. Some of these girls I haven't talked to since last year's cookie exchange! Isn't that crazy? But we are all on such busy and such different schedules. One of the Mom's is a teacher, and has 5 kids, the oldest is a senior in High School and the youngest is in 5th grade... and many of the women are working with kids in college or even beyond and a few are retired... and one of the girls is a young'un and just newly pregnant with baby number 3.

Our hostess was my immediate neighbor, Bev. Her house is simply charming. Neat as a pin and with just the right number of country and antique touches but not cluttered or crowded. Its the sort of house you want to have a cup of tea in and read a good book and sit by the fire.

It was great to catch up with all these ladies. All of them leading such interesting and full lives and all interested in gathering and sharing.

This year I made just your traditional gingerbread cookies and iced with with white icing. I like to use peppermint (my gradnmother always made molasses cookies with peppermint icing) but I didn't have any in the cabinet and of course it was a last minute affair! Last year my youngest got into my cookie tin and ate all the cookies (and shared them with the dog!) after the exchange. This time I'm hiding the cookies!

15 comments:

Theta Mom said...

They look so good and how fun is that? What a great idea and thank you so much for playing along! Great to see you again! Since my move to WP, I feel like I lost some good old bloggy buddies. Thanks for finding me again! ;)

Evonne said...

What a great get together! Those cookies look delicious!

Vodka Logic said...

I love gingerbread and a cookie exchange sounds like so much fun. I am going to suggest to my "lunch bunch"

Kristina P. said...

Those look delicious! I actually host a cookie exchange every year too! Mine is Saturday. Can't wait!

Shelly said...

MMMMM, those look delish! We did cookie exchanges at our old church. I don't bake so I usually didn't participate b/c nobody wants my burnt cookies. lol

http://atticgirl.blogspot.com/2009/12/time-out-for-theta-mom-thursday.html

Sophia's Mom said...

How fun! Makes me wish I had friendly neighbors!

Normally I participate in Time-out thursday but I completely forgot this week!

http://www.thewannabewahm.com

Midday Escapades said...

Happy Theta Mom Thursday! Your cookies look mouth-watering and so pretty. Sounds like you had a fun time. This week I did some mini golf:
http://www.middayescapades.com/2009/12/in-land-not-so-far-away.html

ModernMom said...

Oh I used to host a Cookie exchange and then somehow life got in the way! Now I just make enough cookies for an exchange and eat them all myself! :)

Thanks so much for your visit to my blog. I'm your newest follower!!

Eve said...

Sounds like a great get together, and I love the idea of cookie sharing!

Too Many Hats said...

I have seriously been thinking of hosting a cookie exchange this year. I have never even been to one and I am not a baker, but for some reason the idea hit me about 2 weeks ago. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

ooh yummy !

i love the absolutely!

Evelyn said...

Don't forget to stop by Liz's blog shower today!

Holly said...

Yum! - gingerbead with peppermint...I am going to try that one! Our cookie exchange is ocmign up...and I cannot wait!


Holly @ 504 Main

Flory said...

Gingerbread cookies are my favorite! Yours look so good!! A cookie exchange is a great idea. Glad you had some time out! :)

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

Hello Cailin,

You know, I really don't blame your youngest eating the cookies. I think I would too! LOL The picture of them just looks pretty and yummy too.

How nice is that get together - a cookie exchange Do you really get to taste every cookie made? And you know, I just talked about my Christmas memory about cookies too LOL

Mizpah and thanks for the visit (that way I get to know you and your blog too :-) )
Li