Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Williamsburg, Decorations



I live near Colonial Williamsburg and I thought I'd share with you the beautiful decorations that they put up every year. Usually there is a parade, and then we have "The Grand Illumination." I seldom go to the Illumination because it is dark and crowded and I have small kids. Seems like a newspaper headline waiting to happen... but on my way to and from preschool I drive through bits and pieces of the historic area and so I see all the greenery and wreaths. This year the parade was canceled. The weather was calling for a lot of rain at temperatures just above freezing. Which doesn't sound too horrible but if you live here or have been here in the winter you may have experienced one of our ice storms. The area has been shut down for days in the past because the ice falls so thick it pulls down wires and cannot be scraped off the roads. So they canceled the parade - too bad - although I am not sure I would have stood there in the rain to watch it!

Often I end up taking all this for granted but I thought it might be fun to share with those of you who haven't been here, or haven't been here in a while.

I dropped Bitsy off at her morning program and the dog and I went for a walk down D.O.G. street (that is Duke of Gloucester but if you went to school here you call it "dog street") It turns out my camera battery needs charging, oh I was mad! But I had my iphone. The pictures are not as good as I had hoped since I couldn't zoom, and the morning light was working against me in a few places but here are a few...
I like the double wreath here. There were a few of these this year. Using apples is very common in Williamsburg, you will also see many pineapples and some limes. On D.O.G. in the historic area is a garden area in which they were selling some decorated wreaths and also some center pieces with candles. Pretty things!


this one is a bit hard to see I am afraid. It was on the door of one of the private residences and I am sure I could have stood on the steps and tried to take the picture but I felt odd doing it... anyway, it is horse tack. The neck piece that a horse who might pull a carriage might wear.
next is from the same house, in the window, in this wreath there are horse shoes around the apples


intersting, many of these are on residences that are private. (I don't know if Colonial Williamsburg owns the buildings and rents them out, or if they are owned by the residents.) I asked one of the costumed interpreters if the residents were provided with decorations and she said no, that they are responsible for their own. But Colonial WIlliamsburg has a "judging" and there are cash prizes. I thought that was kind of fun.

While we were out I stopped by the sheep pen to try to get a good photo but with the iphone I couldn't really. One of the sheep came over to say hello to my dog! I thought that was interesting! I tried to get a photo of them nose to nose through the fence.




It occurred to me that this post was timed just right for "Outdoor Wednesday" over at A Southern Day Dreamer. Check it out, it is fun :-)

26 comments:

Meg said...

I'm so homesick, I can't stand it! I love CW at Christmastime.

I remember the first year my mom made an authentic wreat for our door. Remember where we lived, on the other side of the woods from Eastern State? The deer would come out of the woods, walk up to our front door and eat the fruit off the wreath. Too funny.

Amo said...

My family went to CW once when I was kid. I loved it! We went in the summer, though. The main thing I remember is my dad and grandmother got food poisoning the night before, so they had to stay at the hotel while the rest of us went to CW!

Blog Stalker said...

Great pictures. We love different wreaths at our home to celebrate the appropriate season, so nicely done.

Have a great day!

luna miranda said...

what amazing wreaths! wonderful photos.

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

These are some of the most unique wreaths i have ever seen!

Thanks for sharing your visit.

If you get a moment -- I would love for you to stop by and say hi!

TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

Teresa said...

Very beautiful decorations. love the sheep photo. There is something about it. Sounds like a beautiful place to live.

Ebie said...

A lot of creative styles in those wreaths!

I feel the same way too, taking photos up close at private residences.

But you captured them just beautifully!

Stine in Ontario said...

Funny the sheep was so interested in your dog!

The wreaths are lovely.

Hootin' Anni said...

I do like all of this....such enchanting wreaths, but the animals is what I really like!!

My Wednesday post is published. I hope you can find time to visit with me. It's found Here

grey like snuffie said...

What a wonderful post...so many creative ideas out there...thanks for sharing.

Rhonda @ Shellbelle's Tiki Hut said...

Lovin' these wreaths, but the dog and the sheep together are wonderful. I know sheep are used to dogs, but your dog's tolerance and interest is to be commended!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, this is so beautiful. I went to Williamsburg the first time with my parents when I was about ten. I absolutely loved it, but I have never been at Christmas. I have early VA ancestry (Jamestown) so everything in VA interests me. The decorations are so lovely.

About ten years ago, someone gave us the Christmas book from Williamsburg, and it has disappeared. This reminds me that I need to get another one.

How cute that your dog was touching noses with the sheep! LOL!

There is a book that is probably out of print called "A Nantucket Christmas" which I adore. Do yourself a favor... it you can find it online buy it because they have wonderful decorations, too.

Happy OW!

XO,

Sheila :-)

P.S. Glad you liked my tree frog! I couldn't believe it when I saw that frog glued to the window and looking in at the goodies!

Too Many Hats said...

Wow, all those wreaths were beautiful.

Mary said...

The wreaths are all wonderful as is your photo of the dog and the sheep. I hope you are having a wonderful Outdoor Wednesday and are looking forward to the holiday ahead.

chubskulit said...

Those are beautiful wreaths, my favorite one is the tripled style.

Have a glimpse of Japan at my place.

Ms.Daisy said...

Hi Cailin,
I've been to Williamsburg and it is lovely any time of the year, but especially so at Christmas. I love the horseshoe wreath and all the apples used in these wreaths! Thanks for the tour and stopping by to say hi!

~Jean

Atticmag said...

Such beautiful wreaths and oh my, sheep. It's so nice to click on your blog and see something Christmas related that's so different from what we see where I live. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the wonderful post. CW is another line on my "bucket list." -- Jane F.

sherri@lavenderfields said...

Beautiful wreaths and they are so different from anything I have ever seen! I love them. So nice to see decoration from all different places! Hope you are having a great Wednesday! Sherri : )

The Muse said...

Pipers piped...
In cobbled streets...
Buckled shoes stomped...
To a historical beat.

Snow drifts gathered...
In a white winter flood...
These early Christmases...
Where history is the judge.

Love the shots!
Hugs!

WhisperingWriter said...

I love these wreaths. Too cool.

Thank you so much for your kind note that you left in my blog.

Cheryl said...

I want to move there. It looks like something out of a storybook. Thank you so much for sharing it with us, it really makes me feel like the Christmas spirit is here, alive and well. Such simplistic beauty. I have to go there sometime and see it for myself.

Great shots! Hope you have a good weekend and all is well with you.
XXXXXXX

eileeninmd said...

Wow, the wreath are all just gorgeous. I love the sheep too, looks like you dog made a friend.

ModernMom said...

Oh they are lovely!!
All my decorations outside are currently covered in 3 inches of snow. Boo!

MisAdventuresofMomof3 said...

Those are beautiful! My husband's aunt and uncle live in Williamsburg and I have been dying to go and see them (for years!) Thank you for reaffirming that.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Calin Marie... I'm dropping back by to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas! :-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

shraddha said...

oh i love , love, love these!!

thanks for sharing..

happy new year!

enjoy!

(also due to technical difficulties i had to get rid of my linky love page..so if you also want to remove my button..i totally understand)