Wednesday, May 12, 2010

afternoon at the marina, james river

The stomach flu has struck the local.  Oh joy.  We spent yesterday home as Dragon was running a high temperature and not keeping down foods.  He is not really eating today, just tea and saltines, but he is doing a little better so I took him and M-Lyons and Bitsy to the Marina in our neighborhood.  They played in the sand along the river and the dog chased ducks and I pulled out my pastels.  I haven't done much work in the last 5 years and found myself enjoying the application of color to paper and the thick, creamy texture.  I believe my teachers from school would have said "I was seduced by the medium" and perhaps I was; I have never been exactly sure why this is a bad thing.
The Marina is one of my more favorite places to play with pastels.  River fronts abound in this part of Virginia.  We are between the James River and the York River and I used to get out and sketch scenes from both regularly.  Here is one from 2004 that happened to be in this sketch book, I think it is one of the 'beaches' along the Colonial Parkway:
And it is "OUTDOOR WEDNESDAY" over there at a Southern Daydreamer. So I'm playing along!

11 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

Lovely drawings Caillin. Hope all get better soon.

Melissa said...

Very pretty artwork!

kim said...

Great art. I did not know you were an artist. My rooster moved to the breakfast room. I just switched the two. Thanks for coming by.

Teena said...

Thankyou very much for sharing your lovely pastels of outside, they're lovely! Hope your family gets well soon <3

♥ Calamity Anne ♥ said...

Thanks for the kind kudos! I see you're not afraid of color either! Love your artwork!

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

Wow, those are lovely. I sure wish I had some talent. I'll bet you have many pieces of your work on your walls. That would be so beautiful.

hip chick said...

Beautiful art work.

Heidi said...

Hi CailinMarie,
I'm returning your visit, and I'm glad I did. I like your pastels, so loose and colorful - I like working with them but because I'm left-handed I get really messy! I think your work captures the "energy" of the day. Nice!

I just read your post from the day before, wow do I get it! I'm in the same boat a lot of the time and it drives me crazy. He says "I don't remember" or "I must not have heard you" when I remind him about something I've mentioned to him about a million times. Some men must be lacking an important memory and listening gene!!
Have a good weekend!
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Ann said...

Are these your painting? They are COOL!!!!

Amo said...

I love those pictures! They look so peaceful. You are a great artist!

Cathy said...

Wow! I'm amazed you just sketched those so spontaneously! You are wonderful! I hope you have many framed pictures that you have done in your home!