Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Morning, coffee and a book - The Help

I like this meme - I think I'm going to try to keep it going a bit.

Book Club opted to read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  I took it with me on Spring Break - excellent choice.  At some point I became completely engrossed and sat in the bathroom in the condo reading until 2 or 3 AM because I needed to KNOW and I didn't want to wake up my husband.  That is my kind of book.

So lets see; the book jacket says: Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter has just returned home after graduating from Ole Miss.  She may have a degree, but it is 1962, Mississippi, and her mother will not be happy til Skeeter has a ring on her finger.  Skeeter would normally find solace with her beloved maid Constantine, the woman who raised her, but Constantine has disappeared and no will tell Skeeter where she has gone.

The book has three voices, Skeeter's, Aibileen and Minny's.  Aibileen and Minny are both black women who work as "help" in white homes.  Skeeter, trying to figure out just what to do with herself since she didn't come home married, tries her hand at writing.  Okay, that is being a bit rough on my part, she wrote at school and she decides to try to give it a go as a profession.  She takes up the idea of writing a book about what it is like to be a black woman working for a white woman.  And that is what "The Help" is about, how Skeeter goes about writing this book and the events surrounding it.

I liked it.  My friend M said the general consensus at book club was that everybody liked it.  But I also thought it was a bit pretentious.  I mean, this is a book written by a white woman who grew up in Jackson Mississippi and she has endeavored to write two black voices.  Everyone in my book club is white.  My very articulate next door neighbor is a black woman who was a teacher here in Virginia in the 1960s.  She taught in segregated schools.  I would be very interested to hear her take on this book.  Because some how, I think if a book was written that actually had the voice of these women in might be a bit too gritty (to use M's word) for my all white book club to say they enjoyed it.  You know?  But regardless, it was a good read.  A very good read.  And thanks to Aibileen I find myself whispering into the ears of my preschoolers "Miss Cailin loves you.  You are good.  You are smart.  You are perfect."

aside:
I didn't make it to book club.  Tim was wrapping up to head out to SAPPHIRE/ASUG an SAP conference in Orlando and had a client dinner that night.  Apparently Tim and his team and the clients were at dinner at the same venue as my friends.  M sent him a beer.  So he got up and flirted with what he described as "a table of 8 hotties."  Apparently loving the opportunity to look like a big man infront of his team and clients.  LOVELY.  My husband is out playing ladies man with my book club while I look after children with the flu and do his laundry so he can pack and leave for Florida the next day.  And then S texted me as to how lucky I am.  Lucky?  Me?  Whose at book club and who is minding children may I ask?  But the man apparently talked about me in "glowing terms" and had everybody jealous, they all want my husband.  Hah!  And then to show off he bought them dinner.  No wonder they all just roll their eyes when I won't spend money.

Check it out.  I completely recommend it.

5 comments:

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

Sounds like a great book! I'll have to check it out! Husbands, huh? Good luck next time getting to your book club! Please stop by my blog as I am having a give-a-way!

Hugs,
Jacalyn

Elle said...

Hi You have received an award from Elle! Check it out here: http://stilettosandvodka.blogspot.com/2010/05/versatile-bolgger-i-am.html

Melissa said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I just may have to check it out! And I love that you've been inspired to whisper such cute, meaningful little words in your preschoolers' ears. Adorable!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I keep hearing about the book, and I might just have to read it.

That sounds like something that would happen to me. I would be sacrificing, and everyone would be complimenting Mr. Magpie. LOL! But in truth, he is a good egg. ;-) And yours must have good taste... he married you, didn't he? I would say that is very good taste. :-)

Have a great weekend...

XO,

Sheila

Southern Lady said...

CailinMarie, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment for me at my Southern Lagniappe blog. I'm so glad it led me to your blog.

I just finished listening to "The Help" on audio book, and absolutely loved it. I think the audio book would be even better than just reading the book, because the narrators were excellent, and I enjoyed their inflections and dialects (and even their "southern" accents).

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Sincerely,

Janie