Monday, May 17, 2010

Showing off on a Blue Monday


I was hopping around visiting blogs the other night and happened upon a post that has stuck with me this past week.  The writer was describing her day, substituting at a school.  And she was in the art room that day and had the children making a craft and she said to a student something along the lines of "that is lovely your mother would like that for mother's day" or something to that effect.  And the student looked at her and said, "oh my mother wouldn't want this." and several other students agreed that their mothers wouldn't want anything they made at school.  And the writer was just so very saddened and so was I reading it.
And so,
I am taking this opportunity to show off my Mother's Day Gifts and a few other pieces that have been proudly presented to me over time:


Every day before snack the kids in M-Lyons preschool class say a thanks "may there always be sunshine, may there always be family, may there always be good friends, may there always be me" which I suppose isn't exactly thanks but it is a nice little saying and as the school isn't church run it allows for any differences in belief. At anyrate, for Mother's Day they collaborated on "May there always be Moms" and each child contributed a page. There were lots of "may there always be cars" and "may there always be spiderman" and some "flowers" my M-Lyons did "friends."

Dragon's teacher helped him put this card together:


Tiger's book mark is being used and isn't close by for a photo.


K made this lovely little box:


And just to be sure I've got my "blues" covered, here is a lovely collection of little offerings the children have given me.  They live in my kitchen:



I love my children's art.  I love the process they go through and the unconcious discovery and learning.  I've been thinking about offering pre-K art classes this summer...

Happy Blue Monday!  I am linked up to Blue Monday through Smiling Sally, she'd love it if you stopped by!

10 comments:

Mónica said...

Wonderful gifts for you, adore the creative hands of your childs. Hugs and kind regards. Congrats for a special mum :)

FoxyMoron said...

Oh Caillin THANK YOU for this post! Just today my Em brought home a beautiful wooden utility type box she made in woodwork and she was critical of it but I love, love, love anything the kids make, and always have done. I have kept as many as would last through time.
Your kids have made some beautiful things, thanks for showing us.

The Happy Homemaker said...

Kids are such a blessing:) Your gifts are all wonderful!

SmilingSally said...

You are a smart mother to appreciate the love gifts that your children offer you. They should be treasured! Happy Blue Monday, Cailin Marie.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Your blue makes my heart go pitter pat. I adore it.

Becky said...

Children's art is always the most special. Good choices for Blue Monday.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Gifts from children are ALWAYS the best. They are the real treasures of life because they come with so much heart attached!

Thanks for sharing with us and Happy Blue Monday! I love their art and gifts to you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Pie said...

Those are all so pretty. You've got talented kids.

Happy Blue Monday!

Mine is here.

hushmama said...

i teach art to a little boy on saturday mornings and it is wonderful. i love everything my kids make...when they go to school i will love and cherish everything they bring home for me and i will be thankful that they thought of me.

Katy and Ross said...

Ok, I'm not a mommy, but I babysit a TON! The kids are always making me cards or pictures and I have kept most of them. It's actually a little ridiculous-my fridge is covered in drawings! I can't imagine not being proud of your own child!

It looks like you have some great artists in your family though :)