Monday, June 28, 2010

Blue Monday - Introducing the Birds

I am linking up with Smiling Sally this morning for a Blue Monday

M-Lyons has been after her father for a cat.  For that matter Dragon has wanted a cat as well.  We almost got one last fall as at the time their father was not likely to say no to anything, but I hesitated, and well, no cat.  For one thing, I'm allergic to cats.
Everytime we go to the pet store to purchase food for the lizards M-Lyons insists on visiting the rescued cats up for adoption.  It gets ridiculous.
I said to her last Tuesday, you know, dad probably will not say yes to a kitty.  He probably will say yes to a bird...
She pounced.  We went and looked at birds...
She chose two blue parakeets-
this is "Prince Philip" he is a feisty little fellow and has managed to escape once already and fly around the house a bit...

the lovely bright almost turquoise bird in the foreground is "Princess Aurora" I have no idea if they are both males or both females or what.  Generally our pet store's policy is to only sell one gender of a type of animal.  But we told M-Lyons that the birds don't know one way or another and she could name them what she wanted to name them.

They are rather entertaining.  We are working on getting them to come to our hand for a treat.  Slow going.  The dog also finds them very interesting and we are being very careful.  No doubt they look and sound like squeeky toys!

We are now up to 5 kids, 1 lab, 2 lizards, 1 snake, and 2 birds.  I'm going to have to change my blog title to "The Zoo"!!!

13 comments:

DogsMom said...

They are beautiful birds. Given time and consistency you may be able to teach them to say a few words, or whistle a tune.
If you have sensitivities to cats it is probably best you don't get one and soon have to rehome it.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

They are SO pretty. We used to have a parakeet named Budgie (how creative!) when we were little, and he was a blue boy. Loved seeing these! :-)

SmilingSally said...

I used to have a male parakeet that I named Bonnie (because I did not know how to tell if male or female. Since then, I've learned:

The easiest way to tell a male from a female is to look at the bump of flesh above its nose--the "cere." On a male this is blueish. On a female this is brownish.

Happy Blue Monday!

☺lani☺ said...

Prince Philip and Princess Aurora are so pretty! We used to have Mina... and really talked a lot, sometime he's annoying LOL!
Happy Blue Monday!

Theresa said...

So cute and love the names! Happy Blue Monday!

LV said...

I have never owned a bird. I have always loved these birds for their pretty colors. Good luck with yours.

Mary said...

Lovely parakeets. I used to have one I named Scooter Pie. I worked at Bird Talk magazine at the time and one of the editors gave him to me. How I loved him.
Thanks for stopping by~

Marice said...

beautiful! we used to have birds like these!

Manang Kim said...

What a beautiful name to two pretty blue birds. Thanks for sharing!
BM~Centipede

Cindy said...

Sweet little birdies! Quite a household you have there!

AshTreeCottage said...

Beautiful birds! Sounds like there is lots of fun and laughter going on in your home!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Mylene said...

Funny! So pretty blue birds!

Jingle said...

love your blue parakeets..
they look smart and cute.