Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Morning, coffee and a book - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

It is Monday - the rain last night brought in some cooler temperatures.  YAY!  the dog and I have been out for our morning walk/run and I'm sipping coffee - my favorite way to start the day.


My book club agreed on "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson.  We haven't gotten together yet to discuss it so I cannot share the general opinions- but I devoured this book.  I thought it was fascinating.

The inner jacket introduces the book as "The international publishing sensation.  A spellbinding amalgam of murder mystery, family saga, love story, and financial intrigue."

The characters were well written.  There is a depth behind them that allows to reader to believe if one asked the author questions about these characters that he has answers, they are not cardboard cut outs.  I was fascinated by Uncle Vanger and wish he was a real person.  I'd like to know him.  Lisbeth Salander I think would scare me in real life- her ability to hack into information for one thing.  I know in the age of the internet there is no such thing as privacy.  But her ability to dig beyond the usual amount of dirt is uncanny and yet I can't quite dismiss it as purely fictional.  She is ruthless as only a child who has grown up fending for herself could be and that too is scary.  She seems to have an on off switch in her brain that allows her to disengage emotionally.  But the way she handles the predator in her life, well that was brilliant in my opinion.

The book is not a feel good breezy read.  My friend M- said she had read it and liked it but was not going straight to the sequel as she needed a break.  She found it a bit grizzley.  I'm drawn to this sort of thing, it is a bit dark.  There is an element of "weird" and "deranged" and of course there is murder.  But the mystery does get solved and in the end things work out for the main characters involved.

Myself, I'd like to get my hands on book 2 and book 3.  The whole story is a trilogy-

The Third is reviewed on Amazon:
Amazon Best Books of the Month, May 2010 As the finale to Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is not content to merely match the adrenaline-charged pace that made international bestsellers out of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire. Instead, it roars with an explosive storyline that blows the doors off the series and announces that the very best has been saved for last. A familiar evil lies in wait for Lisbeth Salander, but this time, she must do more than confront the miscreants of her past; she must destroy them. Much to her chagrin, survival requires her to place a great deal of faith in journalist Mikael Blomkvist and trust his judgment when the stakes are highest. To reveal more of the plot would be criminal, as Larsson's mastery of the unexpected is why millions have fallen hard for his work. But rest assured that the odds are again stacked, the challenges personal, and the action fraught with neck-snapping revelations in this snarling conclusion to a thrilling triad. This closing chapter to The Girl's pursuit of justice is guaranteed to leave readers both satisfied and saddened once the final page has been turned. --Dave Callanan


There is also a movie, in Swedish, that looks wonderful but very dark.  And I think they made one or are making one in Hollywood as well...

No comments: