Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Container Garden

It is Outdoor Wednesday, and I am trying to squeeze in my Outdoor Wednesday post-

Last year we tried container gardening on the deck.  Went over okay, but not fabulous.
So this year I decided to use the containers as part of my landscaping out front.

Armed with the book, Easy Container Combos: Vegetables & Flowers by Pamela Crawford and a gift certificate to Lowes (thank you American Express points!) I got started.  I wanted vegetables.  In particular, I want tomatoes, having just read that canned tomatoe products top the list of things one should never eat, I want to attempt to freeze & can some myself and so I need a good batch of tomatoes.

In addition I picked out some marigolds because I love their bright color and because they are meant to be good at keeping the bugs away.

I took these photos yesterday:
from my front door, there is a little bench and then some shrubs with planters tucked in.  There are three large pots with tomatoes, and two with cucmbers and one with squash behind this bench!

my squash is just getting started-


This pot has cucumbers and they are coming along nicely.  I didn't start these from seed, they were in a hanging basket at the grocery store and were an impulse buy...
but they look promising

here is one of the tomatoes, those pots make them seem very tall and they make the front of my house look like I have lush greenery planted.
it looks like I should have tomatoes soon if I can keep the birds, rabbits, squirrels and deer away...
I let ya'll know how it goes.

Outdoor Wednesday is hosted by A Southern Day Dreamer.  Please stop on by and link up!

4 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

Good luck with the vegies. We didn't have much luck with our tomatoes last Summer but we neglected them a bit.

Light and Voices said...

After the summer is over, you will be so proud that these veggies are in the freezer.
Joyce

Kristin said...

How about a tutorial on how to can tomatoes?

CailinMarie said...

haha Kristen! Once I've given it a try I'll let you know!