Sunday, July 18, 2010

Blueberries!


On Saturday I took the kids (minus Tiger - he was at my mother's) to Bush Neck Farms to pick blueberries. Ah! It was such the zen experience. REALLY! The farm is at the end of Bush Neck Road and the house (a very modest farm house) overlooks the river. So in the blueberry bushes you can't see the river, but you can hear the birds and all those swamp type noises... it was so peaceful. Even with 4 kids it was peaceful. Bitsy would eat twice as many as she put in her bucket which had us all thinking of Blueberries for Sal and M-Lyons kept saying "we'll can them for next winter" which is from the story too.




We picked 12 pounds of blueberries, came home and I made a blueberry crisp (decided not to bother with pie crust though I'm sure if I went digging through Mary's blog I'd find a good one) and canned a batch. YUM!  I used the recipe I found here.


Today I took the rest to make jelly. The recipe called for two quarts - can you believe we were down to one? 12 pounds!!!

I found this recipe for jelly but let me tell you, after cooking up the blueberries, I didn't have a jelly bag and on line people were discussing the merits of a jelly bag verses a pillow case. Well, I didn't really have a pillow case either so I found an undershirt with holes in it. It is taking HOURS to drain...

It is BLUE MONDAY and I'm linking this post to Smiling Sally and her Blue Monday
and I'm linking to Outdoor Wednesday with A Southern Day Dreamer

Bush Neck Farms:

BUSH NECK FARM David and Marsha Brown 1502 Bush Neck Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188 (757) 258-0114
Directions: About 7 miles west of Williamsburg. At Lightfoot, next to the Outlet Mall, turn down Centerville Road, which is Route 614. Go 4.3 miles to Route 633, Jolly Pond Road. This road becomes Bush Neck Road, which deadends at the farm. Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday, mid April - mid November.
Special Comments: School tours May-November. Picnic area. Products: Pick-your-own apples, blueberries, asparagus, sweet corn, peaches, pumpkins.


12 comments:

SmilingSally said...

What a great family time, and you'll enjoy those blueberries for some time to come!

I have to read that book!

Happy Blue Monday.

Debbie said...

We have a blueberry farm near us. Not on a river but it is still lovely!

☺lani☺ said...

Family moments, priceless!

Fifi Flowers said...

Ooooh YUM!!!! J'adore blueberries right off the bush!!!

Jingle said...

beautiful family togetherness,
cheers!

Kathy said...

Yum! I need to find a pick your own farm near me! We used to when my children were the size of the ones pictured! Such memories - I found picking blueberries very peaceful and meditative :)
Kathy

nannykim said...

I so love blueberries, even frozen in slushy drinks. Here is a recipe I love and you can use regular flour instead of the gluten free that I used. It combines chocolate with blueberries and is nice! http://nannykimsrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/07/chocolate-blueberry-cake-gluten-free.html

Love Bears All Things said...

Looks like a fun experience for the wee ones...I just freeze my Blueberries as is then when I want some, take out a hand full and rince them off...just like fresh. I've never made jelly with them but I have with Blackberries...
Mama Bear

Linda said...

Yummy! Blueberries are my husband's favorite. I add them to smoothies too as well as a crisp. I have never made jelly...I must try that next!

Pam said...

I am amazed that you canned some of them. They look wonderful. Looks like the family had a good time picking (and eating) them.

DoanLegacy said...

Yummy blueberries! I know what you mean about how long it took to drain those blueberries for jelly!

FoxyMoron said...

I can almost taste them!

How clever you are to can them. Now I know (duh) that it's not really "canning" as such. I kept wondering how people got the lids on the cans at home.