Sunday, July 11, 2010

For Dad

My Dad was born on July 4th and he died on July 11th.  I'm writing this on the 4th with intent to 'post it' on the 11th - I have never been able to let those two days go by without allowing myself some time to acknowledge Dad.


I "borrowed" the above image from the X-Hunters Website

In 2006 my husband and I hiked out into the desert with Peter Merlin of the X-Hunters to locate the site where my father had crashed the F-117A he was flying.  A flag pole had been erected at the site 20 years earlier and I had wanted to see a new flag flying for the 20th anniversary of the fatal crash.






when we hiked into the area, we found the pole with a cows skull on the top.  Somehow, that seemed appropriate for my dad.  It was a peaceful area with a light breeze rustle the dry grass and the occasional bird of prey over head.  But the cows mooing loudly made me laugh despite myself.  I brought that skull home, it adorns my back porch.




fixing the flag pole




new flag


The X-Hunters wrote a book which I think I am going to purchase.  I haven't met Tony but Peter Merlin spouts aeronautical history without effort.  I wasn't sure what I was expecting when he offered to take me out to the site, but I met an intelligent aeronautical history buff with a lot of personality and a degree of nerdiness.  I liked him a lot.  It turns out I'm not the first family member to contact him in regards to a crash site and he has taken many family members to visit crash sites.



periodically I google "Ross Mulhare" and see what comes up... this is a new one via flickr: Ross E Mulhare

I am going to use that blue sky to tie this into Blue Monday with Smiling Sally and Crew.

6 comments:

Mary said...

I'll keep your Dad in my thoughts and prayers today. Blessings...Mary

SmilingSally said...

Please accept my condolences, Calin Marie. Even though it's been 20 years, we hurt when we lose a loved one.

Happy Blue Monday!

Manang Kim said...

I so glad I see a pole and a flag standing and not a cow's skull. I'll say a prayer for your Dad too. Happy Monday!

Blue snake

The Paint Splash said...

Wonderful tribute to your dad. Mine has been gone 18 years and it still feels like I should be able to call him for help when I need to do something mechanical. Have a blessed week. Debbie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a very touching post, Caitlin Marie. My heart goes out to you.

And do you know that your father died on my father's birthday? Isn't that something? My father is gone, too, and I lost him when I was only 19. But he lives large in my heart just like your dad does in yours. Love his flag flying for him.

Happy Blue Monday...

XO,

Sheila

LV said...

A very touching post. A great loss of someone that you love is very hard to accept. What you did perhaps help you put a closer to part of your pain.