Friday, September 10, 2010

Pink - for Peace


This Pink Saturday I offer you a pink lily - for peace.

I remember exactly where I was on 9/11.  My husband was in the air that morning on a flight.  Lucky for me, he wasn't flying out of NY and he wasn't headed toward the Capitol.  I remember how many of his friends and associates were in the air that morning.

Earlier that year, my husband and I had visisted Oklahoma City.  We had visited the memorial in Oklahoma City as well as the Firefighters Museum.  At the Fire fighters Museum there is a monument to those who have lost their lives fighting fires, a sculpture depicting a failing building and one fire fighter attempting to help another one out.  I remember standing in front of it crying while my 3 year old stared at me wondering what was wrong.

I am shocked and dismayed at the rumors of Quran burnings this weekend.  By a pastor no less.  I was shocked to see a bumper sticker on a car in my home town a few weeks ago with the message "Every thing  I need to know about Islam I learned on 9/11/01."

WHAT?

How quickly we forget that in every mainstream group of every kind there are small pockets of radicals. Surely we can recognize the difference between true Islam and radical terrorists?  Surely Christians remember that there are other Christians putting bombs in abortion clinics in the United States?

A friend of mine in college had a political cartoon on her dorm room door that said "All God's Children Have Guns" and depicted a person from each predominant religion on his knees in prayer with an M-16 thrown over his shoulder.

So this day, the day after my friends finish celebrating Rosh Hashana, leaving the past behind and celebrating a New Year, I pray for peace for us all.  We are after all, all God's Children.

4 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh CailinMarie Sweetie...
What a beautiful lily for peace. A gorgeous write too.

All Americans' lives changed forever the day that the airliners crashed amongst our great country. We will none of us ever be the same.

Thank you for the wonderful tribute sweet friend. Just beautiful.

Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

What a beautiful sign of peace! Thank you for your post! It's the same thoughts that I have but have not spoken!

Happy PS,
Jacalyn

Amiko said...

Hi,

I'm your new follower, thanks

FoxyMoron said...

Beautiful lily and well said. I'm still in shock at that bumper sticker, I'm all for freedom of speech but gosh, what ignorance.
We remember too.