Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday Morning, Coffee and a Book - Little Bee

Little Bee: A Novel by Chris Cleave is the current book for my book club.

I read it on the plane on my way to Las Vegas.  I could not put it down.  It is a shocking story.  Sad.  So very sad.  And as I caught my breath and asked myself, "What would I do?" and looked at my husband sitting next to me on the plane reading his Vince Flynn book and wondered "What would he do?" and I wondered: How much of this is true?  How much of this is written based on stories of survivors?

Do I recommend this book?  I do.  I recommend it because it does remind us in our quest for "it" that we are so very fortunate.  That we (collective developed nations) really have no idea what atrocities are to be found in other parts of the world.  And while each of our own nations has moments, individuals, that horror  that drives people to stow away and sneak across borders at any cost is something that we just do not understand.  I recommend it because it will push you the reader out of your comfort zone and it will ask you to consider another point of view.  If only for these pages.

It will be interesting to hear the book club discussion.  It will be interesting because Jen will hate it because once again it is depressing.  We know Betsy won't read it.  But I am interested to hear what M, Lisa, Amy, and the other Jen have to say.

No comments: