Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pink Saturday, Memories from Las Vegas circa 1970s

So while I was in Las Vegas we went golfing one day at the Red Rock Course and on the way home I googled "Helen Marie Smith" which was the name of the elementary school where I attended Kindergarten, First Grade and Second Grade.  My First Grade teacher was Mrs. Azanares (at least that is how it sounded) and my Second Grade teacher was Mrs. Brandon.  Everybody wanted Mrs. Brandon because at the end of the year she had a pool party for her students at her house.  I still remember her telling us that one April 1st there were ducks swimming in her pool.  We all believed her.  Ducks.  In Las Vegas.  Riiiiight.  Mrs. Brandon also took kids out to lunch.  She and another teacher would pick two kids in the class and take them out to Pizza Hutt.  I was sooo stinking excited when I got to go.  And she told us about growing up in Kansas, and her 4-H steer, and "I before E except after C" and she would rap her knuckle against the chalk board as she said this and I was fascinated by that for some reason.

So anyway, I found my old school.

and I "walked home" to my old house


Dad was military.  We moved away when I was 7 and went to language school in Monteray and then to Spain.

On Saturdays I enjoy linking up with Bev at "How Sweet the Sound" for her Pink Saturday Blog Party. This week the Pinky group has been invited to add Halloween into the mix - I'll be posting my Halloween things tonight or tomorrow though-

In the meantime, please stop by Pink Saturday and join the fun.  We are a friendly group and we enjoy visitors!

11 comments:

Dru said...

It's so fun to go back in time isn't it?! I remember great teachers also - they seem to impact some aspect of our lives forever. Thanks for sharing and Happy Pink Saturday - love the house!

delia hornbook said...

;-)) Hi i couldn't wait to check out your pink shirt after you left such a lovely comment on my blog ;-) You know that feeling when some one says no don't do it yet or you can't do it you want to do it even more ;-) Aww i think you look lovely in it. I am going to check out the rest of your blog now, and thanks again for stopping by mine and for your lovely comment, i hope you come back again soon. Take care..Dee ;-)

Jacqueline said...

Happy Pink Saturday. What wonderful teachers you had! I don't eve know if they could get away with that now. Your pink shirt looks fab. Have a great weekend.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Pink Saturday Sweetie...
What a beautiful share today. You look so darn cute in your pink shirt. I love it that you went back and found your school and your old home. Did it all look the same to you? Sometimes it is hard to look back, but you sure look happy in your photos.

A precious share and a beautiful smile sweetie. Can't wait to see what you share next week. Have a beautiful Saturday and a safe Halloween.

Many hugs, Sherry

Rebecca said...

Thanks for taking us on a stroll down memory lane!

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

Lots and lots of memories for sure! Happy Halloween and Happy PS!

Hugs,
Jacalyn

LV said...

Thank you for a pink trip back to your home town. You look cute in your pink.

Beverly said...

Thank you for sharing your sweet memories with us. That was a wonderful experience for you.

My first grade teacher was Mrs. Lopez. Whoa! That was a long time ago.

Happy Pink Saturday, Cailin.

Holly said...

What fun to revisit those great memories. Thank you for sharing those with us.
Happy Pink Saturday!

Donnie said...

Loved your Pink Saturday post. You're so cute.

Nancy said...

I love that you not only went to the school, but then walked home! Pink Saturday tardy, wishing you a Happy Halloween!