Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Prince Charles in Vogue

So I love Vogue - which is silly.  If I make time for my morning run (I'm really trying to be dedicated lately - I've gained way too much and have to do something!) Then I'm in sweats and runners while I make the kids breakfast and pack lunches and send them off on the bus and then its on to check email for work, and then take the 3 yr old to school (I'm still in sweats and runners) and then clean house and do a little work and pick up the 3 yr old (still in sweats) - you get the not so glamorous picture right?  I used to adore clothes.  I loved fabric.  Just touching fabrics got me excited-


yes I took this photo from the Vogue article but I don't see whose it is...

ANYWAY - I do get Vogue and for 5 or 10 minutes at a time I sit in a corner and just pretend... and here... on page 600 something is an article entitled Royal Green.  And I believe HRH wrote it himself (or an aid did in his voice.)  Wicked cool.  I am a fan of Prince Charles.  I remember being a 10 yr old school girl in Spain and running to the neighboring apartment where our British neighbor and her Swedish husband had the T.V. showing his wedding to Princess Diana.  I thought he was so handsome and I was in awe of the whole thing!  I thought he got a rather bad rap in the 80's and 90's.

Sometime ago he was featured in a magazine - because he was advocating organic and sustainable farming on his acreage.  And I remember thinking - how cool is that?

Anyway - I got carried away with googling and running my typing fingers - and now the kids are home from school.  BUT - please check out the Vogue article here He is openning up his gardens for a sustainable living fair and including a fashion show.  Wow.  I wish I could go!

And a quick google search reveals he helped to author a book on the subject: Harmony please see the article by Stephen Bates here

Bates quotes Prince Charles:


"I have tried for 25 years to encourage social and environmentally responsible business; to suggest a more balanced approach to certain aspects of medicine and healthcare; more rounded ways of educating our children and a more benign 'whole-istic' approach to science and technology. The trouble is that in all these areas I have been challenging the accepted wisdom; the current orthodoxy and conventional way of thinking, much of it stemming from the 1960s but with its origins going back over 200 years.
"In those early years I was described as old-fashioned, out of touch and anti-science; a dreamer in the modern world that clearly thought itself too sophisticated for 'obsolete' ideas and techniques, but I could see the stakes were already far too high ... Even back at the end of the 'swinging 60s' the damage was showing through and I felt it was my duty to warn of the consequences of ignoring nature's intrinsic tendency towards harmony and balance before it was all too late."

1 comment:

FoxyMoron said...

Charles was a greenie way back before we even knew what greenies were. And he got ridiculed for it. Considering his weird upbringing I think he's a pretty good guy.
LOL the word verification for this comment is "mismarm"!