Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pink Saturday - Sweet Dreams

It has been a busy, busy, day.  So, I'm sitting here for a moment with my hot cider and cinnamon before tidying up the kitchen and then off to sleep!

My friend has had a child in the hospital this week.  Little Elizabeth, 8 or 9 months old, caught an infection and went into the hospital Tuesday and made it home last night.  I was able to visit her mom Friday and was able to take big brother (3 yrs) and big sister (5 yrs) for much of the day today.  Big Brother isn't always keen on playdates without mom on a good day, after a week of mom sleeping at the hospital with baby sister I knew I was going to need something a little bit "more" to get him started.  He follows the Feingold Diet- Trader Joe's to the rescue!  I bought each kid a ginger bread house kit (yes that was 4, yes a bit extravagant but this was a special occasion (I just tried to find you a link.  I don't want to quote because I am not positive but I THINK they were $7.something each- so really. not bad if you didn't buy 4!)) and yay!  That seemed to do it.  So we built houses, and read books, and they played and played.

Our guests live in the same neighborhood as my in-laws so we dropped them off and stopped by to see Grandma and Grandpa- who fed us pizza.  yay!  And we came home and watched sappy Christmas specials that made me cry and washed the warm and cozy Christmas Flannels I bought eons ago when we lived in a different house and only had two kids.


creating Gingerbread Houses with friends


the kit at Trader Joe's includes gingerbread pieces, sprinkles, sugar people, all made without artificial colors or artificial preservatives.  Cool.


Big Sister's webkinz.  M-Lyons is sleeping with it tonight to make sure it isn't lonely while big sister is out of town.


Pink Flannel Christmas PJs from Grandma - and those flannel Christmas Sheets!  I bought them during one of the big sales at "The Company Store" years ago.  At least 6 years ago.  They are soft, heavy, warm flannel.  One of the best purchases I have ever made.


I am linking this (skating under the wire here) to Beverly's Pink Saturday Link Up.  I really like Pink Saturday.  There is something inherently happy and innocent about the color pink and these Saturday Posts allow me to tap into that and inevitably I find myself remembering to be grateful.  Tonight I am grateful for a the health of a friend's baby girl, a warm house, darling girls in pink pjs, and cozy flannel sheets.

Beverly has asked us to share a favorite holiday recipe.  This cheesecake recipe was shared by Mrs. Nelken with my grandmother, "Momma Jo" and made by my grandmother and my mother for every holiday and special occasion.  It takes time because of the beating and cooling - but it is worth it.

Sandy Nelken's Cheesecake

you will need a prepared graham cracker crust. take the time to make it from scratch. really.

step one:
1 lb cream cheese
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
beat all of the above together for 20 minutes
pour into crust and cook at 350 for 20 minutes

cool to room temperature (if you refrigerate it you have to rewarm it to room temperature before adding in step two or you get a mess)

step two:
1 pint sour cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
beat all of the above for 10 minutes
pour over completed (cooked and cooled) step one
bake for 5 to 10 minutes at 450

allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.  It needs time to set.  Tastes very good for 2 or 3 days (it hasn't ever lasted more than 2 days at my house)

7 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

What a lovely, lovely post and those cosy pj and sheet pics. Can't imagine December being cold.
Cheesecake recipe sounds great.

Rebecca said...

How wonderful to help out a friend in need! Wish we had a Trader Joe's around here-my husband's been once and brought back some goodies! Love the christmas Pj's and sheets-makes christmas more fun and special!

Jorgelina said...

Lovely post !
Happy pink saturday!

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Cailin. I am glad you joined us.

I love reading your sweet posts because they are from your heart. Thank you for sharing with us.

I've always been tempted to try one of those kits. Maybe I'll be brave enough some day.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

sounds like you've been busy! that was sweet of you to treat them each to a gingerbread house, I'm sure they needed a distraction.

Thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious and my hubby loves cheesecake.

Happy belated Pink Saturday!

delia hornbook said...

Wow you have been busy, glad to hear your friends child is better now. Aww what a lovely idea to make Ginger bread houses i bet the kids were loving those. I love flannet sheets i have a pink one on my bed at present they are so very cosy.Have a lovely week. Dee x

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a sweet post...and a wonderful recipe! Love all of your photos! Hugs! ♥