Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Strawberry Season - Woo-Hoo!

I have been wanting to get out and go strawberry picking for weeks - and FINALLY we went this afternoon. M-Lyons had 3 fillings at the dentist this morning and he said she shouldn't go back to school soooo we picked up Bitsy from preschool and got a milk shake from Dairy Queen for being so brave at the dentist (I know - sugar! duh!) and headed out to Toano VA-

to a cool strawberry patch at Hidden Brook Farm owned by the Hills: Bobby and Jim.

It was a warm day with the cicadas singing in the trees and I was ready to zen out and pick away- but Bitsy was tired after preschool. First she was hot, then she had to pee, then she was tired and on it went. I made her hang in there until M-Lyons had a full bucket. M-Lyons had gone strawberry picking last year with Mrs. McMillan's preschool class and she was a pro - she got down and looked under leaves and filled up her bucket with gorgeous red berries...


Hopefully we'll make it back Friday with all the kids and get some more. I'm going to go pull out my "Doubleday Cookbook" my Uncle Pete and Aunt Margaret gave me for my wedding. See if we can make ourselves some yummy strawberry preserves to put in our big old fashioned pantry!

If you are looking for a place to pick in Williamsburg area:  this is off of Rt 60, turn at Barnes Rd/ State Route 601 (turn right if you are coming from Williamsburg direction) and then continue until Skillman Dr.  You'll see the sign-

Berries are $2.00 a quart (I think) which is $8.00 a bucket and they are so super sweet and juicy you'd pay twice as much!


The Hill Family

100 Skillman Drive
Toano, Virginia 23168-8924

6 comments:

Only Cute Things said...

Hi nice to meet you! you have cute blog! and big family! OMG! CONGRATS!

lovely post!

xoxo from so far away

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Sweetie...
WOW do I wish I lived close by. I would be out there pickin with you sweet friend. Makes them worth so much more as well, when you hand pick what you want, and not have to just take what the store has to offer.

I can't wait to see how your preserves turn out. Hope you have a wonderful Memorial weekend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Linda Makiej said...

Terrific photo work!!!

Glad to be following you now...

Farmchick said...

Any visit to the dentist deserves a milkshake :)

FoxyMoron said...

Yum! Don't forget to tell us all about what you make with the strawberries. What a fun outing for the kids.

delia hornbook said...

lovely i love going strawberry picking and raspberry picking for that matter. nothing beats picking it fresh and eating a few while your there in the field as my kids do ;-)) dee x