Sunday, August 14, 2011

4 year old moments

Yesterday we began our trek to Hilton Head Island. My husband's family has been coming here for years, like since he was in junior high at least- we missed last summer so the kids have been that much more excited. Well, the older four-

Bitsy got that we were going to the beach. Less than 20 mi it's into the ride we reached the
Jamestown Ferry. "I see it mom!". She called excitedly. "Yes honey we are taking the ferry." "No! The beach! I see the beach!"

Um, no. We are not going to the Jamestown beach.

About 2 1/2 hours into the trip we stopped at Chick a filet for dinner. The smaller ones climbed around and the 10 & 9 year old boys "watched them" (which means they climbed around) for a few minutes while we waited on our order. After eating our chicken & potato fries Bitsy noticed a young man, maybe college aged? Eating ice cream.
"Mommy, I have ice cream?"
"No honey"
"Why?"
"it is time to go"
She thinks for a minute and I'm scooping up trash and directing kids to the bathroom. I notice she is standing a foot away from said ice cream eating man, staring at him and absentmindedly playing with her shirt. "Bitsy! Don't stare" but I'm laughing and he notices and kind of laughs too. Finally we are leaving and Bitsy points at ice cream man, "But why he have ice cream?"
Oh brother. Seriously, you are going to be 5 in a few months. "Well, his mommy isn't here to say no" is the bet I can come up with.
(there is an intelligent mommy line if ever there was one!)

I'm asking for a refill on Tim's ice tea and ice cream man stops for a refill on his drink. He smiles and says, "that was kind of awesome."
Yeah. She is kinda awesome I think, but I just grin back.
Safe travels ice cream man.

Finally, at 11:30 pm we arrive at the time share unit. The big kids are excited, "We are here!". Bitsy looks around in the dark and says, "but I don't want to be at Hilton Head. I want to go home!"

No comments: