Friday, September 16, 2011

aaahhh!

normally I would write about the fact that when I got up this morning the lid to the coffee grinder was awol and so I could not grind those little black beans of energy smiling at me.  I did consider just throwing into the pot as whole beans, but didn't.  Didn't want to waste them.  So no morning coffee. egads!

or the fact that the water heater, always temperamental, seems to finally be done.

and so I faced my morning without a hot shower and without hot coffee - this is a very big deal to me.  I need at least one or the other.

And my 8th grader came home wearing her boyfriend's sweat shirt.  What?  Really?  Stealing his clothes already?  "Mom!  It is a thing at school, the girl's wear their boyfriend's clothes.  I didn't steal it, he offered."  Uh huh.  We will not even get into the feminist implications of all that.

But little Hawk has eclipsed all that.

We have these bar stools in the kitchen.  I have asked my husband to help me move them several times.  They are heavy, maybe iron?  Anyway - little Hawk pitched off of one last night and split his head open, total watermelon.  I iced it, swapped it with alcohol and assessed.  I did consider glueing it with super glue (one of the best tidbits of knowledge ever. My husband told me that the military came up with super glue for the medics in the field.  I googled it.  A little super glue and a band aid - works wonders.)  But it was in his hair, and it was about an inch long, and because it was swelling up (head injury) it was opening more, and I couldn't get a band aid to hold.  I tried.  Plus we are out of glue.

So off we went to Urgent Care.  Tiger was supposed to be at soccer at 5:30 but we were at Urgent Care from 5 to 7:15.

Interesting, since it is a head and the tension on head skin is different than elsewhere, the Doctor stapled it.  3 staples.  OMG.

That was yesterday.

About 2 hours ago little Hawk was playing with Tiger, slipped on his overalls and went backwards.  Screaming, blood from the staples, swelling.  So I iced it for 20 minutes.  Looks like the staples held, and now little Hawk wants to go outside and play.

Seriously?

I need a drink.

Wikipedia
The inventor of cyanoacrylates, Harry Coover, said in 1966 that a CA spray was used in the Vietnam War to retard bleeding in wounded soldiers until they could be brought to a hospital. Butyl cyanoacrylate has been used medically since the 1970s outside the US, but due to its potential to irritate the skin, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration did not approve its use as a medical adhesive until 1998 with Dermabond.[10] Research has demonstrated the use of cyanoacrylate in wound closure as being safer and more functional than traditionalsuturing (stitches).[11] The adhesive has demonstrated superior performance in the time required to close a wound, incidence of infection (suture canals through the skin's epidermal, dermal, and subcutaneous fat layers introduce extra routes of contamination),[11] and final cosmetic appearance.[12][13]

No comments: