Tuesday, September 13, 2011

cheats

Today I had lunch with my good friend M and she knew all about the Vegan thing because *bless her* she reads my blog. So we were talking about it and then Tim being away at a trade show in Las Vegas came up and she wanted to know what I was having for supper - wasn't I cheating?  It is his diet after all.  Except that it is kind of working for me- although I do think after the experiment is all done I want to add oil back into my diet.

But there are little cheats.
I made blueberry muffins for the kids this morning, and I had 3(!) They were good for you muffins, but officially still cheating.

Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins by Joy the Baker


Makes 12-15 muffins
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 cups oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (I used regular milk)
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp canola oil 
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray. I simple greased and floured a muffin pan, saving the paper.
In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake for 16-18 minutes.

And tonight at dinner we had corn bread !YUMMY! with our roasted vegetables.  The kids had chicken too but that didn't interest me at all.
So there you have it, my big cheats have both been baked goods.  And pretty much that is all I miss.  I've decided I need to find or make-up a recipe for biscottis that doesn't include, eggs, butter or oils.  I miss dunking baked goods into my coffee.

but in trying to find you the recipe for muffins I used this morning I stumbled across this recipe, which I need to try:

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
Inspired by The Garden of Vegan

Makes 8 good size muffins. This recipe is easily doubled.

1/2 cup 1% milk (or you can use non dairy milk)
1 cup oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon flax seeds
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 to 1 cup of chopped nuts (I usually use almonds, pecans or walnuts)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare muffin tins with muffin cup liners.

2. Prepare the "flax eggs" by first grinding the flax seeds. Add the water to the ground flax seeds and blend together until it starts to thicken up a bit.

3. In a medium bowl, stir together the "flax eggs", milk, applesauce, vanilla and sugar. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently fold together. Gently stir in the blueberries and nuts. Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Suggested modifications: Make these muffins with your favourite dried chopped fruit instead of the blueberries, and use 3/4 cup or 1 cup of milk instead. Replace the milk with soy milk to make these vegan. I like my muffins a bit drier so you might prefer to add up to 1 cup of milk.

Note: I put a vegan tag on these muffins because they can easily be veganized by using soy milk instead of cow's milk (since they contain no eggs or butter). I am not intending to imply that cow's milk is vegan.

No comments: