Monday, October 24, 2011

Homemade Jessie Costume

My Kids have unshakeable faith in my ability to produce Halloween Costumes.  It is sweet, but sometimes I feel the pressure just a bit.  Last year my MLyons wanted to be Jessie from the Toy Story Movies, but she didn't like the look of the shiny, one piece, costume in the catalog.  It didn't look Jessie to her.  And so, I decided to make her a Jessie Costume.  Luckily I was headed to Nevada so I stopped in a Sheplers while I was out there (a little more common in 'Vegas than in Williamsburg.)  I picked up a white rodeo styled shirt, a belt and a pair of wranglers and I lucked out because they were all on sale. Once home I went to the local fabric store for some dye and red trim.  I also picked up some costume fabric that could be "cow hide" or "Dalmatian fur" or "pony."  

Rodeo Shirt, Red Trim & Yellow Dye

Wrangler Jeans and some fake fur
I followed the directions on the dye and painted it on the cuffs, and the whatever you call that top part of the shirt.  A yoke? A collar?  Use gloves, dye can be a total mess if you aren't careful.  Then I used fabric glue and glued the red trim.  After it was dry I hand stitched it in a few spots just to give it a little extra hold.

The costume fabric I just sewed straight onto the jeans.  In pictures the Jessie doll's pants are just sort of attached like that so I followed the pictures.  Luckily we have a good supply of cowboy boots.  I spent my early childhood years in Oklahoma on a farm and simply think every kid ought to have a pair of boots to stomp around in.


I was able to find a Jessie hat online (after much searching) and it arrived the day before Halloween.  Here she is, finished product!  Her long hair is braided down the back with a yellow ribbon tied around the end.  Lucky kid, she won first prize in the Halloween contest.


3 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

Aren't you clever? I used to dread Easter hat parades and Book Week parades. I was happy when the department stores started selling costumes.
She's the prettiest Jessie!

FoxyMoron said...

I just saw your comment on my blog. Don't you do Easter Hat Parades there? At primary school the kids would make hats (their parents really made them) and then they would parade around the playground in front of parents etc. This was usually day before the Easter holidays. Sometimes they won prizes.

Eileen said...

Cute costume! That really turned out nice. You asked about my fabric designs and where I print them - it's a company called Spoonflower. You can Google it; it's really, really neat site. Have a great Halloween!