Sunday, October 16, 2011

Thor - the movie. really?

Needed a diversion last night to slow my brain down so I could sleep, so we opted for a movie and watched "Thor"

I'm so disappointed.

It had great "tomato" ratings and like 4 stars.
maybe I'm not a comic book person?
but come on!
Natalie Portman, Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo, and for crying out loud Kenneth Branagh and THAT was the best they could do?  (I will leave Chris Hemsworth out of this because I don't know anything about him.)
I'm completely disappointed.
Thor, wether its a comic book story or not, is such rich material of legend and lightening and thunder and the Nordic culture... I was hoping for so much more.  This was shallow and obvious.  Kenneth Branagh "shallow?"  But it was, sigh.

Despite being disappointed, I did think that the "watcher" (Heimdall) was well played.  His voice, costume, ember eyes, character - he was well done.  I googled it to find out who played it and apparently casting Idris Elba as Heimdall was controversial.  Fans of Thor say that Heimdall was known as the "whitest of gods" and all I can think is seriously?  One it is called "artistic license" and two Idris was fabulous and I wish his character had a bigger role.

The set design was lovely as well.  And of course they probably blew the entire budget on special effects.

But honestly, I can't believe we paid $5 to rent it from iTunes, I wish we had waited for it to be on Netflix so it could have been free.  And Natalie Portman! Did she loose a bet?  Owe someone a favor?  My husband thinks it is hilariously funny that I am so disappointed in her for being in this movie but that character could have been played by any pretty face, and Natalie is such a good actress.  Maybe she just wanted a break from all her serious roles, but 
okay. I'll let it go now.

2 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

I'm not a big movie watcher but judging by some of the fluff my family waste their time on it seems to be all about the special effects and loud noises these days rather than staying true to a story.
Chris Hemsworth is an ex soapie beefcake from down here so I wouldn't have expected too much from him anyway. ;)

Farmchick said...

I think Chris was the big draw for this movie!