Monday, December 26, 2011

and a Merry Christmas it was

Family Tradition
There was warfare.  Winter Break means at least one good game of RISK

baking cookies for Santa
There was baking.  MLyons is/was absolutely convinced we needed goodies to leave out for Santa, and "no dad, Santa isn't vegan."  So she was provided with real eggs and real butter and she mixed up a batch of her (and my) favorite cookie.  Toll House! YUM!

wrapping in the den
There was wrapping. Some years ago my husband and I started watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy every year around Christmas time.  And then it became a tradition of wrapping presents and watching the trilogy which is kind of hard for me.  "Oh shall we give this to MLyons or Bitsy?" to the sound of orcs being slain is just twisted.

Christmas Eve with Nana
As a we were often far away from extended family, so we opened all the gifts that had been sent on Christmas Eve.  I am 14 years older than my nearest paternal cousin, for 14 yrs my dad's kids were the only grandkids and on my mom's side I only had 3 cousins.  So we were pretty spoiled by the grandparents.  My mom carries on the Christmas Eve tradition coming to our house to open gifts and the sleeping over to watch the "Santa" mayhem in the morning.

Christmas Day we eat waffles for breakfast and then send Nana off and get ready for dinner with Tim's parents.  Tim and Tiger had a touch of stomach flu {another family tradition.  We seem to get the flu every Christmas!} so they stayed behind this year.  And the camera battery was dead so there isn't any visual proof that I went over.  But I did!




3 comments:

Farmchick said...

Sounds like your family had a great Christmas...flu or not.

FoxyMoron said...

Hope the boys feel better, and what a lovely Christmas you had (flu notwithstanding).

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Sounds wonderful! I wish you and your family a very Happy New year, and yes I hope to see you more in 2012.