Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Headed to NJ

I do have two more preschool finger print projects to share but those will have to wait until next week.
I'm on my way to New Jersey (or will be in a matter of hours)  On riday I received a phone call, my grandfather had died in his sleep.  My grandfather has been sick and dying for 15 if not 20 years so this wasn't a huge shock, and yet it is.  My grandparents always provided "home" to a military family on the move.  His address was the first address I knew.  His phone number the first phone number I learned.  They were our home base.  After my father died too early (dad was 35 years old, I was 14) both of my grandparents, but especially my grandfather, stepped up into my dad's place in my life.  My grandfather's mother had died when he was 13 (I think) so he knew.  In talking to my husband about it over the weekend I said I felt like a lily pad whose tether had been cut and I was floating down stream.  My husband's grandfather died last spring, he knew exactly what I meant.  Our grandfathers were the people other people looked to for advice or help, and suddenly we really were grownups in the sense that we didn't have that safety net anymore.  It is a weird feeling.

I am so grateful to my grandfather, he gave me so much.  More than I can say and I am sure when I return from the funeral I'll want to write a proper post about him.

In the meantime:

Edward Mulhare

MULHARE Edward A., 85 died peacefully at his home in Longboat Key, Florida on February 24, 2012. A resident of Florida, he had previously been a resident of River Edge, NJ and a parishioner of St. Peter the Apostle Church for over 50 years. Ed Mulhare, born in Kingston NY in 1926, was a devoted and beloved husband and father. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Kathleen Kinross Mulhare (Kay); sons, Keith Mulhare of Ridgewood NJ and Drew Mulhare of Williamsburg VA; daughter, Lisa Sanderson of Landenberg PA; daughter-in-law, Mary Mulhare of Williamsburg VA; sister, Mary Lockwood of Stamford, CT. Kay and Ed's eldest son, USAF Major Ross Mulhare, died in the line of duty in 1986 as a test pilot for the stealth fighter development program. Ed and Kay Mulhare also had fourteen grandchildren and twelve great-grandchild-ren. Edward Mulhare was deeply loved by his family and friends. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War and had also served in the Merchant Marines. Ed earned a BS degree from Boston University and a MBA degree from Fairleigh Dickinson University. He led a successful career as an investment professional having served as a VP of Prudential Financial, an Executive VP of Republic Bank and the founding Chairman and C.E.O. of Merrill Lynch Interfunding. He also served on the board of directors of several privately held companies. Funeral from the Beaugard Funeral Home, 869 Kinder-kamack Rd., River Edge, where his family will receive friends on Wednesday evening 7-9 PM. A Mass of Christian Burial will be on Thursday at 10:30 AM at St. Peter the Apostle Church. Interment is at George Washington Memorial Park Cemetery in Paramus. Donations may be made in memory of Edward Mulhare to the American Diabetes Association , www.diabetes.org. Published in The Record/Herald News on February 28, 2012

my husband created a slideshow for my grandfather, which was viewed during his wake. We gave copies on disk to a few people (my aunts and uncles mostly we didn't have time to make very many) and created a drop box file. And then my husband uploaded it onto youtube - and I'm not sure how my grandfather would feel about that. He's the sort that was only in the paper in his wedding announcement, his promotions at work, and his obituary. I'm not sure that he would want to join the "reality show" entertainment craze. But I do think that it will make him chuckle that Edward Mulhare (the actor) and Edward Mulhare my grandfather (two different people) are likely to confuse the heck out of viewers on Youtube.

4 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

So sorry about the loss of your grandfather. You are so lucky you have all those memories, and I really look forward to hearing more about him when you get back. Safe trip Caillin.

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear about your loss.

Sponge Curlers and Cupcakes said...

Your words have already spoken so eloquently of what a fine & good man your grandfather was. And look what a wonderful girl he helped raise. I will also look forward to hearing more about him when you're able. In the meantime, I'm sending my most sincere condolences to you and your family.
~Vickie~

security companies Perth said...

sorry to hear about it...