Monday, March 5, 2012

preschool auction, more upcycling

Another preschool auction project:
This little school days styled desk was a donation and proved to be my most challenging project.

desk as it was given to me


someone had attempted to take off the finish on the sides, so I can't leave them as is
I sanded, I tried to strip it, I applied "kills" over it... nothing was working.  And then my husband was in the basement working on skis and noticed my frustration and handed me the "Ridgid" sander. I had the wood ready for painting in less than an hour.  Again I tried spray paint.  Total mess... drippy and drippy and more drippy.  But by now I was running out of time.  So eventually I just called "good enough" and finished up with the white paint.

my new best friend

So eventually I just called "good enough" and finished up with the white paint.  Using craft acrylics I painted kids all in a row, the boys in shorts and the girls in dresses.  The whole time I was doing that I had that youtube of the little girl throwing a fit in the "pink" isle running through the back of my head.  But sometimes it is just easier, and cuter, to go with gender stereotypes.  Hopefully I did not offend any 4 and 5 year olds with my line of kids.

desk top, preschool auction craft- thumbprints for faces
 I took the desk into school to gather thumbprints from the kids, and then added eyes and a mouth after the thumbprints were dry. thumbprint faces, preschool auction craft- thumbprints for faces


finished desk, preschool auction craft
finished desk
Pin It linking to:


5 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

It's lovely you could start your own business renovating furniture!

Michelle said...

You did a great job! It looks brand new!

CailinMarie said...

my dear friend foxy, I can't click through to your blog via your profile anymore. Hope all is well with you and yours

SmilingSally said...

What a nice job!

You were a bit late on the book giveaway, but there'll be another in the future.

Justine said...

Stopping by from Show & Share with Southern Lovely! http://queenofsavings.com