Sunday, April 22, 2012

Lowry Park Zoo

My husband has been working for a client in Tampa - they are in the middle of a 'go live' which means he is on call around the clock; on Thursday when he travels home, he will have been on call at the client site for 3 weeks straight. So - for spring break I loaded up my kids into my minivan and headed south. Man that is a looong drive! Lowry Park Zoo, entrance, Lowry Park Zoo, Tampa Florida; this is my family, please do not use this photo without permission We drove down on a Monday, and on Tuesday we went to the Zoo. A friend of mine had told me about the Lowry Park Zoo and it had stuck in my head, so I went and Googled it. You can feed the giraffes. That got my attention, I've been to plenty of zoos but I've never fed a giraffe. I have mixed feelings about zoos, I know that there are a good many species nearing extinction that would have been lost completely if not for zoos. And these days zoos seem to really try to keep the animals happy and comfortable. And the Lowry park zoo rehabilitates Manatees on top of that. We were talking to one of the zoo personnel as she fed them- lettuces- and she said they do not interact with the manatees after they've been to the medical clinic. Once they are in the tank they are pretty much left alone to grow strong enough to be released back into their natural habitat. I did think that was pretty cool. And this zoo is in Florida with Orlando only about an hour away, so they have to compete and they do try. There is a kids' area with some water fountains to run in and out of, and goats to pet and brush, and a roller coaster and a carousel and so on.
  H Feeding Giraffe, Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa Florida, you can feed the giraffe's lettuce K Feeding Giraffe, Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa Florida, you can feed the giraffe's lettuce Tiger Rollercoaster, at the Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa Florida We returned on Thursday that week and MLyons and K brought their sketch pads. I cannot tell you how my artist soul sings to see my two girls sketching animals at the zoo! Photobucket K sketching

 The Bear Sloth was funny, it didn't want to come out of its night time enclosure so we all waited for it and finally it shuffled out looking for all the world like a teenager trying to get up for school. Poor thing! Photobucket And on Thursday I brought enough cash to pay to ride the camels. Had I payed attention when I was paying entrance fees I would have bought the kids each a wrist band which I believe allows them pony rides and camel rides and giraffe feedings all for one $6.00 fee. I paid $4.00 for the camel ride and $3.00 for the lettuce to feed the Giraffe. {it is Romaine lettuce, really! but how often do you get to feed a giraffe?}

  Photobucket

Photobucket

 sharing with Blue Monday Smiling Sally

11 comments:

delia hornbook said...

aahh what a fantastic day out ;-) Great photo's your family are all adorable. dee x

Hanne Bente said...

Great pictures from ZOO - love giraffes.
Wishing you a good day / good new week.
Hanne Bente / hbt.finus.dk

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a lovely family you have! It looks like this was a wonderful day at the zoo. I would also be thrilled to see my children or grandchildren sketching the animals they saw as that makes the experience more meaningful.

It was so nice to visit you for Blue Monday!

Pie said...

Beautiful pics! Looks like the kids had fun. Happy Blue Monday.

I played too. Mine are here and here.

Diann said...

Sure looks like it was a fun day! Happy Blue Monday!

SmilingSally said...

I think you got your money's worth. That is a special place. Thanks for sharing your blues.

Happy Blue Monday,Calin Marie.

dsahmblogs said...

Beautiful kids.. Nice zoo..

Visiting for BM- hope you can stop by:)

http://dsahmblogs.com/2012/04/nail-file.html

Leah H. said...

They surely had the fun exploring the zoo..

Visiting for BM-hope you can stop by:)

http://www.sweetposh.info/2012/04/plastic-blue-eggs.html

HansHB said...

Great blue! Perfect post!
Happy Blue Monday to you!

chubskulit said...

Gorgeous! Happy blue Monday and a great week ahead!

My BLUE, your comment will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Jessica Cassidy said...

beautiful kids you have :-) it looks like they had a blast at the Tampa zoo :-) I love their BLUE outfits too :-) Dropping by from BM