Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

We started early, and moved 5 or 6 wheel barrows full of top soil. {Huge backyard erosion project going on this spring at my house}

Photobucket
after adding top soil!


IMG_1454

Tamping Down Dirt
tamping down the top soil
And then traveled an hour East for a soccer game.  We won and Tiger took a great shot on goal - keeper saved it but I am always pleased when Tiger shoots.  The oldest made us burgers and I was back outside trying to plant milkweed and winecups.  And then the girls baked a cake.

K poured all the batter into an 8 inch round pan, so it overflowed (!) so she tried to save what she could in another pan.  MLyons wanted to start over but it was getting late so I wouldn't give permission.  Surprisingly it was still really good, although very rich!


Photobucket
MLyons, with a chocolate cake iced with homemade buttercream icing
YUM!

Reminds me of my own baking attempts growing up.  My brother and sister and I went through a phase while we were in Germany where we baked a bunch.  Once we made a chocolate cake, or was it brownies? from scratch- and somehow forgot to put in the egg.  We remembered after the cake had been baking for sometime and so it was already firming up, so we punched holes into the cake and stirred up the eggs and poured them over the top. (!)  When we pulled it out we had a chocolate cake with a fried egg on top!  Not to be discouraged we simply covered the fried egg with chocolate chips or something and served it to our parents anyway.  I got a piece without egg on it so I actually thought that we'd gotten away with it.  Years later it came up in conversation and my mother told me that she'd gotten a piece of cake with probably an entire egg fried on top.  Bless her she ate it at the time and never said a word!

Photobucket
my amazing children

2 comments:

delia hornbook said...

aahhh your children are all gorgeous what a beautiful picture ;-) That cake looks yummy i bet is didn't last long ;-)) dee x

FoxyMoron said...

Love the fried egg cake story. Beautiful photo! Your kids are gorgeous indeed.