Saturday, June 30, 2012

and the wheels on the bus go round and round...

Little Hawk loves that song, the best part is when he sings "the wipers on the bus go swish swish swish" Which he sort of says as "deh, deh on bus swish swish swish" but he makes the little motion and giggles and cracks us all up.

Wednesday we drove from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Rock Springs Wyoming.  I stopped in Boulder Colorado which is only slightly out of the way, to walk around the University of Colorado Campus and the town.  I intended for it to be a quick stop.  I dragged those kids all over for almost 4 hours.

UC Boulder has a really pretty campus and Boulder in general is much greener and prettier than I expected.  It is also pretty big.  K, my oldest, said, "wow mom, I don't know if I want to go to such a big school."  We were not there looking at school to be looking at school, K is entering 9th grade in the fall.  But when we do start looking at schools in 2 years I want her to have been on campuses and know things like, "big schools feel too big" or "University of Colorado Denver is totally out - it is in Denver City and a good 90 minutes from mountains" or my dream school is "Williams and Mary" because I can live at home. (She has never said that btw.)

And then we walked along a little waterway to Pearl Street which is what people "think of" when they think of artsy funky Boulder.  And my first thought was - I need to ditch the 2 yr old, 5 yr old, 7 yr old, and 10 yr old and come down here with the just the 2 oldest and putz around and poke in shops.  What a fun area!

And then around 2 we were in back into the Sprinter and headed towards I25 N.  Rolled into Rock Springs around dinner time and went out to an IHOP for dinner.  Vegan Shmegan my kids were hungry and I led the pack with a veggie omelete.  YUM!

Thursday we drove into Utah.  One of my favorite states.

We had an appointment around 2 at the Winter Sports School in Park City.  We got there plenty early and it is on the campus of the Olympic Training Center in Park City!  So we hung out there a little and watched skiers practice jumping into the pool.  I've never seen that in person before.  They were kids, the ages of my kids, on skis and coming down these long jumps, catching crazy air, and then landing in a pool.  Bitsy looked at me and said "mommy!  Why I not do that?"  Seriously?  "Um, well honey you can when you are a little bit bigger if you want to."  Last Spring we were at Moe's for lunch and they had some extreme skiing on T.V. kids doing stunts, and Bitsy had said, "Mommy, I'm gonna do that." and here she is planning to jump into a pool.  Tim has his work cut out for him if he thinks she is going to be a racer.

I really liked the guys at the Winter Sports School.  They were great, easy to talk to, and they seemed to enjoy K.  While I haven't yet figured out the finances side of things, if she wants to go to ski academy I want her to have the opportunity.  And so on our way west we have two ski school stops.  Winter School - which doesn't include ski team time but they said they might be able to help her find a team home, and Sun Valley Idaho. In Case you don't know what I'm talking about in regards to the Olympic Training Center and people jumping into pools, I found this on youtube: We did not see these people, we saw kids that were younger training on tricks that looked hard to us but were probably more elementary than the ones in this video.

1 comment:

JJ said...

I do love that section of the country, especially Utah. Beautiful!