Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cheyenne to Lincoln

Today we woke up in Cheyenne Wyoming and drove to Lincoln, Nebraska. Our friend Scott lives in Lincoln and its been a good 7 years since we've seen him. It is our fault, last we saw him he was in Virginia so as they say, "its our turn." But as I say "it can take me a while to get organized!"
 At any rate - Cheyenne.
Cheyenne looks like a fabulous town and I want to go back - without a toddler or a 5 year old - and poke around. We stayed in the Historic Plains Hotel. If you check the hotel's website they will provide you with some of the history. It was built in 1911 and has a most wonderful atmosphere. It is a bit worn and in need of some updating (and personally I think an initial investment in luxury linens would go a long way), but it was clean and comfortable and anyone with any sense of history ought to be able to appreciate how fabulous the building is. I wish we could have stayed longer, I want to go back (again without the little people so I can properly enjoy it!) Oh, and the staff is professional and courteous. We had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs, big plates of hot pancakes and hot chocolates. And we were in the car by 8:30 AM.
 We ate lunch at a rest stop along I80 and then I saw a sign along the Interstate for Gothenburg, original Pony Express stop. So I hollered "who can tell me what the Pony Express was?" and somebody asked, "is that when the cowboys drove the horses and cattle from Texas to Colorado?" um, no. Time for a history lesson. So I left the Interstate and followed the signs to Gothenburg. And I must say a big thank you to the city of Gothenburg, or to the Nebraska Tourist department or to someone- because there were easy to see signs from the Interstate to the park where the Pony Express Stop building was. Really easy to find. And we parked and climbed out and went in. And the woman who was inside was someone who knew her history and answered questions and was more than willing to talk to me and my children (those that would listen.) The building is located in a park, room to stretch your legs a minute and let the kids play on the swings if you are so inclined. Gothenburg is another lovely town and I'd like to go back there too. I bought two books, one short story and one that is more factual, and asked the kids to spend a little time reading them in the car.
 From Gothenburg we drove onto Lincoln to Mahoney Park where we met Scott and Gina and their little one E. The kids played, the grown ups tried to talk in between interruptions and Scott cooked up hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken kabobs. SO GOOD! We let them play for 2 maybe 2 and half hours and then off I went to find my hotel for this evening. Excellent day!

No comments: