Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dinner with Megan

Megan, last year I wrote a few times about a skier named Megan McJames. I was very excited to have the opportunity to ski with her in December 2011 and thrilled that DataXstream was able to be one of her sponsors for the 2011-2012 ski season. After we arrived in Government Camp I was catching up with Facebook goings ons and noticed that Megan's new team was at Mt. Hood last week. So I emailed her to see if she was still around. On Monday night, we were able to invite her to dinner. And she accepted, yay!

So I made the kids spaghetti with soy crumble and a bunch of veggies in the sauce and Tim made an awesome mixture of tomatoes, black olives, artichokes, onions and capers to go over the noodles, and we had out spinach salad and I concocted a sort of peach cobbler/crumble thing out of a graham cracker crust and canned peaches (I put in almonds and that totally made it). And we had a really yummy dinner.

Can I tell you how wonderful it is as a mother to have a professional woman athlete in your space, on the couch talking to your 14 year old daughter about a sport they both love? And then K brought up that she has demoed Head skis and so Megan chimed in with her opinion on Head skis like she was talking to a fellow racer, not like she was talking to a little kid, and it was just really really wonderful. Not to mention that I am just really impressed by Megan. And not just because she is an awesome skier, but because she truly believes in focusing on the positive, keeping herself focused on good energy. I am sure in safe surroundings she must be human, but I am impressed with her ability to conduct herself in a "look for the good" manner.

And at some point we asked Megan to sort of catch us up on things. She is now racing with a new team Independent Ski Racing, LLC, and is raising funds through The Athlete Project. I see a *lot* of opportunity there for sponsors. The woman of Independent Ski Racing are not held to all the restrictions regarding logos and representation that the US SKI team puts on the athletes. But I am not one of the voices that makes that decision so I'm keeping my peace, barely, but I'm keeping it. In the meantime, I do want to be part of the good energy surrounding these women. Megan and Hailey Duke both finished last season with World Cup "spots." They have the opportunity to race World Cup all season.

So in case you are a ski fanatic here are some links:
Sponsors
To Donate to Megan McJames
To Donate to Hailey Duke

And then on Wednesday the Wintergreen Team was training Slalom.  My boys came home to excited tell me they saw Megan on the hill.  And we had a discussion about GS turns, and what Megan looks like when she skis.  So fun!

2 comments:

Marydon said...

Congrats to the girls ... how proud they should be.
Have a lovely eve ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

JJ said...

We spent many years as a skiing family, until we moved to Florida. Diner with Megan must have been a thrill.