Wednesday, February 27, 2013

AT

Saturday the littles and I ran errands while the middle 3 were at ski practice and the oldest was at Champs at Massanutten.  Sunday I decided I needed to be outside.

 photo IMG_3687_zpsaa3189a0.jpg
8 AM & 40 degrees F,  but smiling!
So at 7:45 we dropped the middle 3 off at ski practice - and then I drove out of Wintergreen resort, right up the hill, and stopped at the AT trailhead there.  AT = Appalachian Trail via WikipediaVirginia has 550 miles (890 km) of the trail, including about 20 miles (32 km) along the West Virginia border.[56] With the climate, and the timing of northbound hikers, this section is wet and challenging because of the spring thaw and heavy spring rainfall.[57] Substantial portions closely parallel the Blue Ridge Parkway and, in Shenandoah National Park, the Skyline Drive. Parts of the trail near the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive are often considered the best for beginner hikers. In the southwestern portion of the state, the trail goes within one half mile of the highest point in Virginia, Mount Rogers, which is a short side-hike from the AT.[56][dead link]

My Uncle Pete is said to have hiked the entire trail.
 photo IMG_3691_zps63632e8d.jpg
love this view

This bit of the trail runs along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  The Parkway is closed right now.  I don't actually know if that is a permanent or temporary closure, or if it closes every winter?

 photo IMG_3690_zps44ba3a35.jpg

 photo IMG_3694_zpscebae6ce.jpg


 photo IMG_3697_zps868a930f.jpg
1 hr later, up high!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Quintessential Magpie said...

Look at those cuties! How adorable they are.

I was so glad to hear from you on my blog. I am still out, only right now it's because we experienced another loss of a loved one. I will post about it later when I have time to proof the post. Life is kind of in spin cycle right now.

Hope you are well. I tried to do a catchup on what is going on with you. I pray that your daughter has a shot at that ski school. That sounds like a neat thing.

Sending love your way. I just got an email from Fred's distant cousin in Virginia and thought of you.

XO,

Sheila