Monday, February 4, 2013

Boats and Glass

My favorite glass piece from the Chihuly exhibit at the VMFA


Chihuly - boats VMFA photo 2013-01-31123336_zpsa5cab183.jpg
Chihuly - boat with glass spheres

Chihuly - boats VMFA photo 2013-01-31123553_zps334dbdab.jpg
Chihuly - boat with flora forms

Chihuly - boats VMFA photo 2013-01-31123608_zpsff17d051.jpg

My reactions to this exhibit interest me greatly because they were so strong and defined and rather surprised me.  I loved the boats, and especially the use of reflection in displaying the boats.  But I was struck that I reacted so strongly to the spheres, I loved Chihuly's spheres especially as displayed in the boats.  I appreciate and enjoy the botanical forms, but I love the spheres.  This particularly interested me because I think I am more likely to draw/paint or otherwise represent floral forms than spheres.  But I love the spheres.

I'm linking this up to Smiling Sally's Blue Monday

7 comments:

bj said...

Aren't they just beautiful. No wonder you fell in love...:))
xo bj

Indrani Ghose said...

I have similar collection, most of them are egg shaped made from different materials.
You have a wonderful collection!

SmilingSally said...

Oh, I've wanted to go to the exhibition for so long now. Perhaps I'll get to go soon. I think his work is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your blues.

Happy Blue Monday, Calin Marie.

Annesphamily said...

So lovely! Always wonderful to find sweet blues!

Haddock said...

Wow, these are simply a riot of colours.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I love glass decoration, one of my sister-in-law s has many collection of those. I love what you have there.

Catching up with Blue Monday.
My BLUE
It's always a pleasure to read your comment.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.