Monday, February 25, 2013

more thoughts on "Overdressed"

I mentioned previously on my blog that I was reading Elizabeth Cline's "Over-dressed."

I still am.  Fitting it in around a million other things.  But I want this to really sink in so I'm taking my time.  I wish I could challenge all the women I know to read this.  I also wish I could challenge Michelle Obama to read it.  Every one has made such a to-do about her dressing like "every woman."

She spends quite a bit of time talking about the history of fashion, of fast-fashion, the current culture of fashion blogging and fashion you-tube channels.  And how all of this has contributed to a fashion culture that is ever about new trends and no longer even about styles (the styles are changing so fast) and a current culture of "disposable fashion."

a few highlights on "fast-fashion:"

pg. 116 "The pace of fashion is also making quality and craftmanship obsolete.  A 2006 report on fast fashion by researchers at the UK's Manchester Metropolitan University found that fast-fashion companies are indeed eliminating product development and quality control.  The researchers interviewed one fast-fashion designer anonymously, who admitted: We sometimes have huge quality issues with garments that have maybe skipped a test or fit session to get into the shops quicker as the lead times we have been given are very tight."

pg 117 A reply to Cline from H&M "We do not believe that low prices can be equated with a throwaway society, because price and the life span of a garment are not related to each other"

pg 115 In 1904 German sociologist George Simmel wrote "Fashion" for The American Journal of Sociology.  In it he laid out a very clear view on how price and the pace of fashion are tied: "The more an article becomes subject to rapid changes of fashion, the greater the demand for cheap products of its kind"

pg 118 she compares her father's views on clothes to her own experience: "He bought a three piece suit for the high school prom in 1965 and wore the vest until the mid-1980s, and it never looked dated.  In my experience, if I pay less than $30 for a garment, I'm not likely to return it if I am not satisfied.  I'm probably not going to take food care of it either."

pg 118 Sean Cormier, the FIT marketing professor and quality-control expert, says in the industry quality is simply defined by customer satisfaction.  If we do not return a garment to the store, it has met the quality standard.

pg 122 DulceCandy of YouTube "I like fast fashion.  I like things that are disposable.  So I can wear this shirt two times and then throw it away."

No comments: