Thursday, May 23, 2013

Strawberry Jamberry

strawberry am photo 2013-05-21184211_zps20901509.jpg
strawberry jam

We went strawberry picking and we brought home tons of berries - so I asked some friends how to make jam.  And my friend Heather brought me her canning pot and lots of tools and a recipe and pectin and everything.  And then one thing led to another and life took over and I never got to it... and we were eating berries... and Dragon & my mother made a strawberry pie (AWESOME!) which we ate so there isn't a picture of its awesomeness... and Thalia ate the pectin... and finally I got my act together and decided I really ought to at least try.  We had one quart of berries left.

I used the ball jar recipe for traditional strawberry jam.  I did something wrong, see how the berries floated to the top and there is what looks like jello underneath?  I'm pretty sure that isn't supposed to happen.  And I only used 1/2 as much sugar, which might also be why the strawberry separated?  

But you know what?  I was stressed that those berries on the top would be big and gloppy but they actually spread, so you get this awesome fresh strawberry taste in your mouth. pop! 

So now I'm on a mission to pick more strawberries and try again.  I think I could get the hang of this and this jam tastes yum!

2 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

Good work! The jam sounds lovely, keep tweaking, practise makes perfect.

troutbirder said...

Berry jams are the best. Toast in the morning. Yum. Hang in there you'll get it. Heck it only took me about three tries and then I graducated to also making jelly....:)