Saturday, July 13, 2013

First Sewing Project

My 8 year old decided she wanted to sew.  (I had the machine out and that most likely triggered the idea) I asked her what she wanted to make and we did a bit of back and forth and agreed on what I call a rectangle skirt.  I call it that because basically you cut a rectangle of fabric that is long enough to wrap around the widest part of your waist or hip or leg (where ever you are widest) and the other dimension of the rectangle needs to fall at or above the knee.  You sew a hem along the bottom. You sew a casing at the top for elastic.  You sew the side together, add your elastic and sew the edges, and voila... instant skirt.

So she found some pink fabric downstairs.  And then she decided to get complicated... she added a ruffle... and a ribbon...


 photo 2013-07-12145930_zps20973799.jpg

Sewing the ribbon to cover the seam where the ruffle joins the skirt.


Finished Skirt photo 2013-07-12165053_zpsd7c06ee3.jpg

 photo 2013-07-12165155_zps2864ffcd.jpg

I think it is important for my kids to be able to "own" their work, so I did rip out a seam in one spot where it it mattered but other wise, she did this herself.

 

I am linking this post with Beverly's Pink Saturday

3 comments:

troutbirder said...

How neat. My impression is that sewing has become somewhat of lost art but I remember my mom making all kinds of things....:)

CailinMarie said...

Sewing is a funny thing, clothes are so inexpensive that it seems like too much work to sew, but inexpensive and cheap go hand in hand, so it is worth knowing... sadly I'm not very good. I am trying to practice to get better.

travelwithintent.com said...

The finished product is very pretty.