Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Good Puppy!

this morning I let the dogs out into our fenced back yard.  There is a garden section that is fenced off from the rest of the yard.  The gate was open.  The sprinklers were on.



Have you ever had a dog that enjoyed chasing the hose?  Thalia's favorite thing is to chase a hose.  It is her absolute favorite.  I use the hose to test her attention because she is so excited and focused that she has a hard time listening to her basic commands, sit or down or speak.

The sprinklers are a poor substitute for a hose but for a puppy who loves water and loves to dig the open garden was too much to ignore.

My husband looked out the window over his first cup of coffee to the view of the puppy happily romping through the garden and digging and attacking sprinkler heads.  I don't think I've ever seen him move so fast - he sort of teleported to the deck where he tried to call her in.  I followed him.

Now, we were both barefoot and in our pajamas so neither one of us really wanted to go out into the yard to fetch said rotten puppy.  So I called "Thalia! Here!" and she looked up at me. One more time "Here! Here! here!" and holy smokes that dog left off her destruction and came flying up the steps to me.  Yay!  I sent the husband into the kitchen for a hot dog.  He came back with said treat muttering "that dog just destroyed months worth of work and you are going to give her a hot dog?!? What is wrong with you?"

Yes.  If I'd walked down to the garden I would have grabbed by her collar and proceded to offer the dog a "correction."  However, I didn't.  I called her.  And she stopped her splendid morning fun and responded to the call.  And for that, she gets a hotdog.  Good girl Thalia!

No comments: