Saturday, August 10, 2013

"Once you write it all down it is all gone"
Ernest Hemingway
For Whom the Bell Tolls

My father bought me that book.  I can't remember when.  I know he bought it because we lived in Spain for a time, and I am tempted to say he gave it to me while we were there.  But I would have been in 4th grade.  The book is a bit heavy for a 10 year old.  I did try to read it, whenever it was that he gave it to me, and there are even notes in the margins of chapter three.  But neither the notes nor the handwriting tell me how old I was.

I picked it up again because so many people who like to write and who truly like books enjoy Hemingway and I've never read one of his books.

And now it has me thinking about Spain.  And the history of the country as I don't know it.  I lived there for a year and a half or so, but I was just plopped there as I was plopped in so many places.  So I went to the library and picked up some books on the history of Spain, and the Spanish Civil War.  And we will see if I can make heads or tails of it.

I think my dad would be pleased.  That the book is pushing me to learn more about history and  specifically a war that I didn't learn about in school.  A war that seemingly has no significance to anyone outside of Spain and yet perhaps it is wrong to say that.  Franco and Hitler were in communication no?  And some 2 to 3 thousand Americans fought in that war, isn't that so?  They say the Korean War is the forgotten war.  What about Spain?

I like that quote.  It is why I like scribbling and why I think blogging is so popular.  You get it all written down and with a blog you have the opportunity to have an audience as well.  Somehow having an audience authenticates the experience.  The flip side of course is that because of that audience you may find that you censor yourself.  I do.


1 comment:

troutbirder said...

I always find it interesting to note the young people who were too busy growing up or uninterested in history who come back to it later in life and love it. My own experience was similar r.e. geneology. Lots of questions. No answers now as the people who knew them my parents, aunts and uncles etc. are all gone.