Sunday, September 1, 2013

Navel Gazing (or whatever Heather said)

Last night I had a rather good realization.

Most of the time, when I have to deal with myself being angry, it is because I'm not setting boundaries and honoring them.  This usually happens when someone needs something from me and I put their need ahead of mine.  Do that too much and I get stretched too far... and then I get angry.

So over the past 4 years I've been saying no. A lot. NO. NO. NO.

No is not a bad word.  I find it very liberating.

And I think it is important.

In early childhood development they say that a child has to say "MINE" and be allowed to mean it before they can share.  I feel like I have to be allowed to say "NO!" and mean it before I can truly say yes.

My inner two year old is delighted.  I mean she is so gleefully hollering NO at everything that moves. I found some pictures of me at this age.  When did I forget how to have fun?

not quite 2
I think today after the soccer game I need to stop and buy play-dough and finger paint and make a fabulous mess with my younger kids and then stand on the deck and scream NO for a while.

Maybe that guy across the way that yells "shut up you little shit" at my kids (we are pretty sure he has tourettes) will yell "shut up" and I can yell "NO!"

about 2 1/2 yrs old.  oh my! I look like a holy terror!
When did I become to uptight?

No comments: