Sunday, January 12, 2014

Downton Abby

So I usually wait for the season to be out on Apple TV and simply purchase it- but season 4 started last week and so of course there has been so much buzz. (And there was the time my cousin sat on an airplane across from the man who plays Matthew... )

Something stuck in my craw a bit over the show.  I've a family member who is a bit like the mother-in-law "Isobel Crawley" in that she is a professional middle class woman who feels it is her duty to speak her mind and takes it personally when people disagree with her.  And somehow it came up at some dinner that her friends were all great fans of Downton Abbey and she just didn't understand it.  She for one couldn't fathom what those people did all day and could one really be happy when it seems that their biggest problem centers around changing for dinner.  And she went on and on about Sybil and Branson the chauffeur and how pleased she was for Sybil and really the woman and her opinions just make me want to disagree on principal of not agreeing with anyone so self righteous.

But it occurred to me today as I was watching season 3 (yes, I'm catching up) the reason I find this person's self righteous outrage so intolerable:
the woman loves a cruise. She finds deals on cruises and takes a cruise vacation two or three times a year.  I don't begrudge her the vacation (until she starts in on how her retirement benefits are not what she expected) but I find it odd that her version of relaxation involves a floating hotel with staff intent on making sure her stay is enjoyable and she is comfortable.  Further, it has been said to me by people who work on cruises that American's are rarely employed on a cruise ship because they do not "serve" well. Cruises hire professional staff.  I went on a cruise on my honeymoon and the man who looked after our cabin was a professional.  He had a family that he supported through his work and he intended to work on a ship for years to come.  Where he was from it was desirable work and very good pay.  I don't see how that is so different than some of the men jockeying to be footmen or valets in "the big house."

If you do not know what I'm talking about here is a link to Downton Abbey
the characters are so well done.
the costumes and the home are so well done.
Apparently you can go and stay at the home, the family (I believe it is a family that owns it) rents out rooms. I believe it is called Highclere Castle  I should like to go just so I could send a post card to my irritating relation!  Better yet, there is an online gift shop! Highclere Castle Gift Shop perfect.

and 1928 is a jewelry shop that has a Downton Abbey Collection as well!

random side note:
I was browsing the website and did you know:

The Egyptian Exhibition

The Golden Mask

The Castle was the seat, 100 years ago, of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon, who famously discovered the Tomb of the Egyptian Boy Pharaoh, Tutankhamun, in 1922 with his archaeological colleague, Howard Carter.
Today, the 8th Earl and Countess have opened a new Egyptian Exhibition throughout the cellars of the Castle to celebrate the 5th Earl’s achievements.

1 comment:

JJ said...

I did not know about Downton Abbey, but the site is terrific. I will check it out further. Thanks for the tip.