Sunday, February 9, 2014

Oh Dragon!

It is moments like this one where I wonder if he will ever feel part of his family.

In the car on the way to fetch Kahn Sol or after picking him up, it doesn't matter which, I said something along the lines of "he will need to take it very easy for several weeks.  Fortunately his sister just got spayed so that will keep her from jumping on him for at least a day."

very excitedly Dragon called out "Kahn Sol has a sister?"

I do not remember my exact wording when I answered that I was referring to Thalia.  He replied with obvious disappointment "oh, I thought you meant his real sister."

This may sound like nothing but gibberish to you but it is actually rather telling.
Dragon is my 11 year old son.  He happens to be adopted.  He joined our family when he was 6 months old.  He has 5 siblings: some older, some younger, some adopted, some born into this family.  None of them are biologically related to him.  Kahn Sol is our family dog, a big black male Labrador.  Thalia is also a family dog, a young female German Shepherd Dog.  But when I said "sister" Dragon immediately understood me to be talking about the dog's family of origin, not his current family.

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

Oh my. I'm catching up after Florida. I'm glad things are getting better for you lab. Have also a commitment for a yellow lab puppy (thinking of our first dog Max a Marley look and act alike)in late March. I couldn't find a GSD with the genetics I felt comfortable with....