Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Thank You

at the hospital last week



Friday night at the Mountain House
"get her off me!"

watching the Olympics on Saturday

So the big black seems to be okay.  He has a whole pharmacy. His drugs are administered on the clock and he eats 1/2 cup every few hours to reach his 3 1/2 cups a day which we are increasing to 4 today (he'll be so happy!) He is on a prescription diet for the rest of his life and no more treats.

I am grateful to have him home. I am grateful to all the veterinarians who helped get him home, and the vet techs and assistants and to every single one for falling in love with him along the way and letting it get personal.

And I am really grateful to my friends.  I have friends who are battling cancer.  I have friends whose children are type 1 diabetics and any given day can bring challenges and even emergency room visits.  I have friends who have medical conditions that stop them from having children, or that mean that they in their 30's are dealing with "old people problems" that require surgery or therapy.  Not one of these people ever said to me in the last week "Cailin he is just a dog."  And I am so grateful.  Because he is just a dog and in comparison to their everyday reality this is truly such a small thing.  And if we widen that circle to people who I don't know who don't have access to medical care for themselves or their families it is a really small thing, and we can widen it even more to include people whose main concern is enough food and clean water and they consider medical care a luxury never mind pets.  So I know this.  I know this.  And I am so grateful to you all for not throwing it at me when I was hurting.  Thank you.


3 comments:

TammyD said...

But, he isn't "just a dog" to you and your family. He is another family member, and I am so glad he is doing well. :)

troutbirder said...

Indeed. My Baron was part of our family and I miss him so much...

JJ said...

I have lost many over the years because I usually have four at a time. They are an important part of my life and I appreciate your relief that he is okay.